Bin Baaz on the Hanbali Madhab

Shehzad Sattar

Bin Baaz on the Hanbali Madhab

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:14 pm

The Question to Sheikh Bin Baaz (Rahimahu Allah): Do you Esteemed Sheikh follow a specific Madhab (School of Thought for Islamic Jurisprudence) and what is the methodology that you give religious verdicts and proofs?

Answer: My Madhab in Fiqh is the Madhab of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (Rahimahu Allah), however not on the way of Taqleed[1] rather it’s on the way of following him in his foundations[2] in extracting rulings from fiqh[3] which he took. As for the issues of Fiqh that have differences of opinions, my method in dealing with those is that I choose that which is substantiated with the proof, and then I give rulings based upon that which I've selected from that, whether or not it agrees with the opinion[4] of the Hanbali Madhab or goes against it, That is because the truth is more worthy of being followed, And Allah Says:

(يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّسُولَ وَأُولِي الْأَمْرِ مِنْكُمْ فَإِنْ تَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ فَرُدُّوهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ
وَالرَّسُولِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ ذَلِكَ خَيْرٌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلً)

"O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And If you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the last day. That is the best way and best in result" [Surah An-Nisaa 4:59]

[1] (Often Translated as Blind Following)
[2] (Usool): Such as that which is found in Quraan and Sunnah, Majority of the Ulama, Qiyaas, Using the Arabic Language, etc.
[3] (Jurisprudence having to do with the branches of Islaam)
[4] (Mu’tamid) which means that which the Madhab is founded on, however the Hanbali Madhab and scholars for centuries have constantly had other opinions, which also does not remove them from the Madhab.

Source: http://www.binbaz.org.sa/mat/8225#_ftn2
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “The Ahl al-Hadith; Ittiba, Taqlid & Madhhabs”