From the Character of Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 am

From “al-Shamail al-Muhammadiyyah” by Imam al-Tirmidhi[1]
With notes and Hadith-checking by Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani

1. ‘Amr Ibn al-‘Āṣ ( رضي الله عنه ) said:

The messenger of Allah ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) used to come to even the worst of people yet he would behave with such a noble manner of face and speech such that he would unite them, thereby causing them to love him and one another. And he used to come to me with his manner of face and speech (so noble and kind) that I thought I was the best of all people. So I asked him, “Messenger of Allah, am I better (in the sight of Allah) or Abu Bakr?” He replied, “Abu Bakr.” I then asked, “Am I better or ‘Umar?” He replied, “‘Umar.” Finally, I asked, “Am I better or ‘Uthman?” He replied, “‘Uthman.” After I asked him these things and he answered me truthfully, I wished I had never asked him.[2]

2. Anas Ibn Mālik ( رضي الله عنه ) said:

I served Allah’s messenger ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) for ten years and he never said a single word of annoyance or impatience to me, never asked of anything I did, “Why did you do that?” and never asked of anything I did not do, “Why did you not do that?” The messenger of Allah ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) used to be the best person in manners and character. I have never felt fleece, silk, or anything else as soft as the hand of Allah’s messenger, and I have never smelled cologne or perfume as fragrant as the prophet’s sweat ([3].( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم

3. Āishah ( رضي الله عنها ) said:

Allah’s messenger ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) was neither vulgar or obscene in his nature by speech, actions, or characteristics, nor did he act vulgar or obscene. He was not loud or obnoxious in the markets, and he would never retaliate for someone’s bad deed with a bad deed. Rather he would forgive it and thereafter not mention it.[4]

4. ‘Āishah ( رضي الله عنها ) also said:

The messenger of Allah ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) never hit anything with his hand unless he were engaged in legitimate, justified battle, and he never hit a servant or a woman.[5]

5. Āishah ( رضي الله عنها ) also said:

I never saw the messenger of Allah ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) avenge himself for any injustice committed personally against him, but if something of Allah’s prohibitions was committed then no one became angrier than he. And any time he had a choice between two things, he would always choose the easier of the two as long as it was not sinful.[6]

6. ‘Āishah ( رضي الله عنها ) also narrated:

A man once asked permission to enter the home of Allah’s messenger ( صلّى الله عليه
وسلّم ) while I was home with him and the prophet said:

» بِئْسَ ابْنُ العَشِيْرَة )أو( أَخُو العَشِيْرَة «

What a mean person Ibn al-‘Ashirah (or he said: the brother of al-‘Ashirah) is.

Yet he allowed the man to come in and then spoke gently and kindly to him. After the man left, I asked, “Messenger of Allah, you said about him what you said and then you spoke kindly to him?” He replied:

» يَا عَاءِشَة إِنَّ مِنْ شَرِّ النَّاسِ مَنْ تَرَكَهُ النَّاسُ أَوْ وَدَعَهُ النَّاسُ اِتِقَاءَ فُحْشِهِ «

Aishah, certainly one of the worst people is someone whom others avoid or leave his presence due to his indecency.[7]

7. Jabir Ibn ‘Abdullah ( رضي الله عنه ) said:

The messenger of Allah ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) was never asked for anything8 for which he replied, “No.”[9]

8. Ibn ‘Abbās ( رضي الله عنهما ) said:

The messenger of Allah ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) used to be the most generous person in sharing good things, and he was even more generous during the month of Ramadan until it ended. During that time, the angel Jibril would come to him and recite the Quran to him. So when Jibril would meet him, Allah’s messenger ( صلّى
الله عليه وسلّم ) became more generous than a beneficial breeze.[10]

9. Anas Ibn Mālik ( رضي الله عنه ) said:

The prophet ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) used to never store anything (for himself)[11] for the next day.[12]

10. ‘Āishah ( رضي الله عنها ) said:

The prophet ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) used to accept gifts and give presents in return.[13]

Taken from http://www.authentic-translations.com/

Footnotes:
[1] Taken from a summarized version of Imam al-Tirmidhi’s book with notes and the hadith checked by Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani; these hadith were taken from chapter 48.

[2] Recorded by al-Tirmidhi [in his famous collection of hadith] (no. 3880), Muslim (no. 2385), and likewise by al-Bukhari. al-Albani said the hadith is hasan (good).

[3] Recorded by al-Tirmidhi (no. 2016), al-Bukhari in his book “al-Adab” among others, by Muslim, and by Abu Dawud. al-Albani said the hadith is sahih (authentic).

[4] Recorded by al-Tirmidhi in his book “al-Birr” (no. 2017). al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[5] Recorded by Ibn Majah in his book “Al-Nika?” (no. 1984). al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[6] Recorded by al-Bukhari, Muslim, and Abu Dawud (no. 4785). al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[7] Recorded by al-Tirmidhi in his book “al-Birr” (no. 1997), al-Bukhari in his book “al-Adab,” Muslim (no. 2591), Abu Dawud (no. 4791), and Ahmad (vol. 6 nos. 38, 80, 158, and 173). al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[8] al-Albani says, “The meaning is that no one ever asked him for anything good of the worldly life to which he replied, ‘No, I will not give it to you,’ thereby refusing his request. Rather, he would give what is requested if possible, otherwise he would promise to give it to him when the prophet has it or he would supplicate for the person.”

[9] Recorded by al-Bukhari in his book “al-Adab,” Muslim in “al-Fadaa’il,” and others. al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[10] Recorded by al-Bukhari, Muslim, al-Nasai, Ahmad, and others. al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[11] al-Albani says, “This characteristic of his ( صلّى الله عليه وسلّم ) is due to his complete reliance on his Lord. However, he used to store provisions for his family sufficient for a year due to their weaker reliance compared to his own. And this is an example for all the breadwinners and family providers among his nation.”

[12] Recorded by al-Tirmidhi (no. 2363) and al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

[13] Recorded by al-Tirmidhi in his book “al-Birr,” by Ahmad, al-Bukhari, and Abu Dawud. al-Albani said the hadith is authentic.

Taken from http://www.authentic-translations.com/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”