Imam Al Bukhari Apologizes For Smiling

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:08 am

Muhammad ibn Abi Hatim said:

And I heard him (Al Bukhari) saying to Ma’shar the blind: “Pardon me O Ma’shar!” He responded: From what? He said: “One day I narrated a hadith, and I looked at you and you were amazed by it, and you were moving your head and your hands, so I smiled because of that.” He responded: “You are pardoned, may Allah shower you with His Mercy O Abu Abdullah!”

Translator’s note: Shaykh Raslan commented saying; because Ma’shar was blind he did not know Imam Al Bukhari was smiling at him for moving his head and hands; so Imam Al Bukhari was fearful this would be written in his scroll of bad deeds as backbiting.

قَالَ محمد بن أبي حاتم

وَسَمِعْتُهُ يَقُولُ لِأَبِي مَعْشَرٍ الضَّرِيرِ : اجْعَلْنِي فِي حِلٍّ يَا أَبَا مَعْشَرٍ، فَقَالَ : مِنْ أَيِّ شَيْءٍ ؟ قَالَ : رَوَيْتُ يَوْمًا حَدِيثًا ، فَنَظَرْتُ إِلَيْكَ ، وَقَدْ أُعْجِبْتَ بِهِ ، وَأَنْتَ تُحَرِّكُ رَأْسَكَ وَيَدَكَ ، فَتَبَسَّمْتُ مِنْ ذَلِكَ. قَالَ : أَنْتَ فِي حِلٍّ ، رَحِمَكَ اللَّهُ يَا أَبَا عَبْدِ اللَّهِ .

التاريخ والتراجم

سير أعلام النبلاء

محمد بن أحمد بن عثمان الذهبي

Translated by Rasheed ibn Estes Barbee

Source/Audio: http://mtws.posthaven.com/imam-al-bukha ... or-smiling
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”