Way To Teach Non-Arabic Speaking Muslims Their Religion

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 pm

The fourth question of Fatwa no. 20920

Question 4: I have relatives in France who will come to spend their summer vacation with us that extends to two months or a month and a half. What is your advice with regard to teaching them the Din (religion) of Islam? They are Muslims but they do not master the Arabic language, orally or written. Should I begin with teaching them Arabic and then give them books, or should I teach them all about Tawhid (monotheism), or should I teach them Salah (Prayer), Taharah (ritual purification), Zakah (obligatory charity) and Sawm (Fast)? Please advise us of a way to convey the Din of Islam. May Allah guide us and guide others through us!

Answer: If you are not qualified to teach them in their own language yourself nor do you know of others who can teach them matters of their Din in their own language, then you should teach them how to speak and write Arabic first.

They should have a level that is sufficient for teaching them the principles of their Din. This is based on the purport of Allah’s Saying: Allâh burdens not a person beyond his scope. Yet this does not prevent from teaching them Taharah practically and accompanying them to the Masjid (mosque) to perform Salah in congregation and searching for religious books in their own language, especially those issued by Al-Azhar or the ministry of education in your country.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’

Member - Bakr Abu Zayd
Member - Salih Al-Fawzan
Member - `Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan
Chairman - `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah Al Al-Shaykh

Source: Fatwas of Permanent Committee
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”