Selling A Part Of One's Body

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 am

Question: Allah has decreed for me to be infected with a malignant disease which is cancer, may Allah preserve you from its harms. I have been suffering from it a lot since the year 1399 A.H. until now. I have also visited almost all public and private hospitals all over the Kingdom, and spent all the money I had, but to no avail. This urged me to travel abroad for treatment.

However, Allah has bestowed upon me some Muslim fellows who gave me money whether in the form of donation or loan. Allah (Exalted be He) made it easy for me to acquire treatment and I was cured, all praise be to Allah. But I am indebted with about five hundred thousand riyals, which I do not know how I can repay since I have no properties, money or relatives to repay them on my behalf. Now, I am obliged to try to pay off people's money by every possible means, even if I end up becoming crippled, may Allah reward them the best.

I ask: "Is it legally permissible for me to sell some of my body organs, such as kidney, cornea, a lobe of the liver or other organs that would not medically have a harmful effect after being ablated? The purpose of doing this is to repay my debts since I do not have any other option. It should be mentioned that I earn a sum of 5300 riyals a month, but it does not suffice the cost of treatment, the provisions for my family or the house rent. I am afraid to die without paying back people's rights, especially as my family members are mostly women and children. I hope there will be a clear answer, by which I can fulfill people's rights before it is too late, in order to be relieved from this burden before I stand before Allah on the Day of Resurrection. May Allah reward you well.

Answer: It is impermissible for anyone to sell any of their organs to repay their debt or for any other purpose.

May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Member - `Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan
Deputy Chairman - `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify
Chairman - `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

Source: Fatwas of the Permanent Committee
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”