Morals and Etiquettes of the Duaat (callers) to Allah by Shaykh Ibn Baaz

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Allamah Ibn Baaz (rahimahullah) explained … The morals and qualities necessary for a Da`y (caller to Islam) are highlighted by Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) in many occurrences in the Qur’an.

First: Devotedness.

It is obligatory on a Da`y to be so devoted to Allah that he neither intends to show off, nor wants a good reputation nor praise from people. Rather, he should only call to Allah to please Him.

Allah (may He be Praised) says: Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم): “This is my way; I invite unto Allah”

He (Glorified and Exalted be He) also says: “And who is better in speech than he who [says: ’My Lord is Allah (believes in His Oneness)”

Therefore, you have to be devoted to Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He). It is the most important virtue and the greatest quality that has to characterize your way of Da`wah (call to Islam), i.e. observing Allah and the Hereafter.

Second: Knowledge.

Invite people to Allah with firm knowledge. You should not be unaware of or ignorant about what you call people to.

“Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم): “This is my way; I invite unto Allah (i.e. to the Oneness of Allah – Islamic Monotheism) with sure knowledge.”

Knowledge is an inevitable obligation. You should not call people while you are ignorant nor talk about a topic you are unaware of. An ignorant person destroys and never constructs, spoils and never reforms. You, servants of Allah, have to fear Allah and never say anything about Him without knowledge.

Likewise, you should never preach something unless you have sure knowledge and insight into what Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him) said about it. Sure knowledge is inevitable and essential for a seeker of knowledge or a Da`y to be fully conversant with and have a deep knowledge of all the aspects of what he calls to. He must also be sure of the proofs that substantiate his topic. Once he is sure of the truth of his point, he should then call people to it, regardless of whether it is a call to do or to abandon something, i.e. an act of obedience to Allah and His Messenger or an act forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him).

The call should be based on sure knowledge and insight.

Third: (Patience, Kindness and Soft-heartedness with a Forbearing Temperament)

Among the qualifications necessary for a Da`y is that he should have patience, kindness and softheartedness with forbearing temperament as the prophets (peace be upon them) were. Never should a Da`y be rushing, violent or unduly strict. Rather, he has to be patient, forbearing and kind while practicing Da`wah.

To this effect, we have stated some evidence earlier.

For example, Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) says: “Invite (mankind, O Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islaam) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Revelation and the Qur‘aan) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better.”

He (may He be Praised) also says: “And by the Mercy of Allaah, you dealt with them gently.”

Within the context of the story of Musa (Moses) and Harun (Aaron), Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) says: “And speak to him mildly, perhaps he may accept admonition or fear (Allaah).”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) is authentically reported to have said: “O Allah, who (happens to) acquire some kind of control over the affairs of my people and is kind to them, be kind to him; and who (happens to) acquire some kind of control over the affairs of my people and is hard upon them, be hard upon him. “(Related by Muslim in his Sahih).

So, it is obligatory upon you, slaves of Allah, to be kind in your Da`wah, and not to be harsh with people. Do not make people turn away from religion because of your harshness, ignorance or violent, harmful approach.

It is thus obligatory on you to be forbearer, gentle and pleasant and lenient in speech so that your words may have an effect on the heart of your brother, or that it may have an effect on one toward whom your Da`wah is directed.

As such, people will receive your Da`wah better, will be affected with it and will show appreciation.

On the contrary, harshness causes disaffection, distance, and division, not unity.

Among the necessary etiquette and attributes a Da`y should, or even must have is to act upon what he is calling people to. He should be a good example for those whom he invites to Allah – that is, he should not call to something which he himself does not do, or call to abandon something that he himself does.

In fact, this is the condition of the losers – we seek Allah’s refuge from this. But the winning believers call to the truth, act upon it, practicing it actively and vividly and never do what they forbid people to do. Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) says: “O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do? Most hateful it is with Allaah that you say that which you do not do.”

He also says, rebuking the Jews for enjoining righteousness on people while forgetting to practice it themselves: “Enjoin you Al-Birr (piety and righteousness and each and every act of obedience to Allaah) on the people and you forget (to practise it) yourselves, while you recite the Scripture [the Tauraat (Torah)]! Have you then no sense?”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) is authentically reported to have said: “On the Day of Resurrection, a man will be brought and thrown in Hell-Fire. His intestines will then pour forth and he will revolve around them like a donkey revolves around a millstone. The people of Hell would gather around him and say: “O, so and so, what happened to you? Did you not use to command us to adhere to right and forbid us to do wrong?” He will say: “Of course, it was so; but I used to enjoin right but did not practise it myself and I used to forbid wrong but committed it.”

This will be the case with whoever calls to Allah, enjoins good and prohibits evil while his words are contrary to his actions – we seek Allah’s refuge from this.

So, from among the most important and greatest attributes a Da`y has to be characterized with is to act upon that which he calls people to and not to do things that he prohibits.

A Da`y should have excellent behavior, good reputation, patience, persistence, sincerity and strife in guiding people to goodness and keeping them away from falsehood.

He should supplicate to Allah to guide the people whom he invites. He should say to the people he invites: May Allah guide you, grant you the ability to accept the truth. Thus, you should call and guide him, forbear his misbehavior and even supplicate to Allah to guide him.

On hearing people saying about the tribe of Daws that they disobeyed, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: O Allah, guide Daws and bring them close. So, you should supplicate to Allah for those you call to be guided and accept the truth with patience and persistence and do not lose hope.

Moreover, you should say only that which is good and never rebuke or say bad words that might cause people to turn away from truth. However, if someone commits aggression and injustice, they will be given different treatment.

Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) says: “And argue not with the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), unless it be in (a way) that is better (with good words and in good manner), except with such of them as do wrong.” [Al-Ankaboot 26:46)

So, the one who commits injustice through opposing the Da`wah with evil and enmity is to be dealt with in a different manner. If possible, such a person should be imprisoned or given such like disciplinary punishment, which depends on the kind of injustice he commits.

But as long as he causes no harm, you should be patient, seeking Allah’s reward, and to argue with him in ways that are best. Anyway, if such a person causes you any personal harm, it is to be endured with patience as did Allah’s messengers and those who followed them in good.

I ask Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) to grant us all the ability to practice Da`wah in the best manner.

May He reform our hearts and actions and grant us understanding of and holding fast to the religion. May Allah also make us among those who are guided, who guide others, are righteous and teach others righteousness.

Surely He (Glorified and Exalted be He) is the most Supreme, the Most Noble.

May Allah’s peace and blessings be upon His Slave, Messenger and Prophet Muhammad, his family, Companions and all those who followed in good till the Day of Judgment.

Source: http://daarulhadeeth.org/2014/10/29/mor ... -ibn-baaz/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Ahl al-Hadith - Salafiyyah & What Opposes It”