“We” in the Quran – Shaikh Uthaymeen

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Translated from:

http://www.ibnothaimeen.com/all/books/a ... 7882.shtml

{إنا أنزلناه في ليلة القدر} {إنا أنزلناه} الضمير هنا يعود إلى الله عز وجل، والهاء في قوله {أنزلناه} يعود إلى القرآن، وذكر الله تعالى نفسه بالعظمة {إنا أنزلناه} لأنه سبحانه وتعالى العظيم الذي لا شيء أعظم منه، والله تعالى يذكر نفسه أحياناً بصيغة العظمة مثل هذه الآية الكريمة {إنا أنزلناه في ليلة القدر} ومثل قوله تعالى: {إنا نحن نزلنا الذكر وإنا له لحافظون} [الحجر: 9]. ومثل قوله تعالى: {إنا نحن نحي الموتى ونكتب ما قدموا وآثارهم وكل شيء أحصيناه في إمام مبين} [يس: 11]. وأحياناً يذكر نفسه بصيغة الواحد مثل {إنني أنا الله لا إله إلا أنا فاعبدني وأقم الصلاة لذكري} [طه: 14]. وذلك لأنه واحد عظيم، فباعتبار الصفة يأتي ضمير العظمة، وباعتبار الوحدانية يأتي ضمير الواحد

‘Indeed We have sent it (the Quran) down in the Night of Qadr’ (97:1)

(In the phrase): ‘Indeed We have sent it down’, the pronoun (We) here refers back to Allah – Lofty and Mighty is He….And in the phrase ‘Indeed We have sent it down’, Allah, The Most High, mentions Himself with عَظَمَة‘athamah (loftiness, respect, honor, glory, magnificence, grandeur, exaltedness). Because He – and He is The Most High and Perfect, free from all deficiencies, exalted above the falsehoods that are ascribed to Him – is العَظِيْمThe Most Great (Most Magnificent, Glorious, Lofty, Worthy of respect) Who there is no one Greater (more magnificent, more glorious, loftier, more worthy of respect) than Him.

And Allah, The Most High, sometimes mentions Himself with ‘athamah (i.e. with التَعْظِيم ta’theem – the plural of respect, honor and greatness) like in the noble ayah:

‘Indeed We have sent it down in the Night of Qadr’ (97:1)

And in His, The Most High’s, statement:

‘Indeed We sent down the Reminder (the Quran) and indeed We will guard it (from corruption)’ 15:9

And in His, The Most High’s, statement:

‘Verily, We give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before (them), and their traces, and all things We have recorded with numbers (as a record) in a Clear Book’ (36:12)

And sometimes He mentions Himself in the singular, for example:

‘Indeed I am Allah! None deserves to be worshiped except for Me! So worship Me (only) and establish the prayer for My Remembrance’ 20:14

That’s because He is (both) One and He is عَظِيم ‘Atheem (The Most Great, Honorable, Lofty, Magnificent, etc). So when expressing His characteristic of Grandeur (Loftiness, Magnificence, etc), the (plural) pronoun of عظمة ‘athamah (grandeur, honor, respect, loftiness) is used. And when expressing the fact that He is One, the singular pronoun is used.

Source: https://sughayyirah.wordpress.com/we-in ... uthaymeen/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Quran & its Sciences”