Definition: Tarbiyah & Ar Rabb

Shehzad Sattar

Definition: Tarbiyah & Ar Rabb

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Definition: Tarbiyah & Ar Rabb - Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al Uthaymeen

Source: Explanation of the Three Fundamental Principles of Shyakh Muhammad ibn Saalih al Uthaymeen, page 82-83

Translator Abu Talhah Dawood ibn Ronald Burbank

Meaning:
“Tarbiyah” which means to take care of that which is necessary for the development of the one being raised… the word Ar Rabb (the Lord) is derived from the word tarbiyah (to nurture).

Explanation:
So if it is said to you: “Who is your Lord?” Then say: “My Lord (Rabb) is Allaah, who has nurtured me (given me tarbiyah) and all of creation with His favours and blessings.”

[In explanation of these words of Muhammad ibn Abdil Wahhaab, Shaykh Al Uthaymeen states:]

Tarbiyah” which means to take care of that which is necessary for the development of the one being raised. The authors words indicate that the word Ar Rabb (the Lord) is derived from the word tarbiyah (to nurture), since he said: “Who has nurtured me and all of the creation with His favours and blessings.” So Allaah nurtures all of the creation with His favours, and He supported them with all of their needs. Allaah, the exalted and the Most High, said, concerning the conversation between Moosaa and Pharaoh,

So Pharaoh said: “O Moosaa, who is the Lord of you two?” He answered: “Our Lord is the One who provided a suitable mate for all the creatures He created, and then guided them to everything they need with regard to procreation, food, drink and habitation.” [Soorah Taa Haa (20):49-50]

So Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic, are so many that they cannot be counted. Allaah, the Exalted and the Most High, says,

And if you were to try to count the blessings of Allaah, you would not be able to. [Soorah Ibraaheem (14):34]

So it is Allaah who created you, prepared you, supported you and provided for your needs, so He alone is deserving of your worship.
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Aqidah, Sunnah & Manhaj”