i’lam rahimakallah: Know May Allah Have Mercy Upon You

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:56 am

In explanation of the statement of Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul wahhab ”ilam rahimakallah- know may Allah have mercy upon you”, sheikh Saaleh al Fawzaan (hafidha-hullaah) stated:

”Rahima-kallaah”: This is a supplication made for the student of knowledge. The sheikh (Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab) supplicates for the Mercy of Allah upon the students of knowledge, that Allah has mercy upon them. So in this is gentleness from the teacher towards the student. Indeed he (the teacher) begins with a good word, and a righteous supplication (for the student) until that has an effect thereby making the student incline towards his teacher with acceptance.

But if he (the teacher) began with a harsh statement or a statement not deem proper, this would make him flee. Therefore, it is waajib upon the teacher and upon the one who calls to Allah, and upon the one who enjoins good and forbids evil, that he is gentle with the one he addresses-by way of supplication for him, commendation, and soft speech. For indeed, this calls for acceptance (i.e. one’s call to the truth to be accepted by the ones he is calling)

But as for the mu-aanid, (the stubborn willful opposer) indeed this one is to be addressed differently. Allah (subhaanah) said:

”And argue not with the people of the Scripture unless it be in a way that is better, except with such of them as do wrong—-”29:46

Those who do wrong among the people of the scripture, willfully opposing and are haughty/proud- these ones are not addressed with that which is better, rather they are addressed with that which will prevent from their (harm and misguidance). Allah said:

”O Prophet (Muhammad)! Strive hard against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be harsh against them, their abode is Hell,-and worst indeed is that destination” 9:73

Striving against the hypocrites is not done with silaah (weapons), rather it is done with proofs, words/statements, refutation against them with harshness that prevents (from their misguidance and harm), and to keep the people away from them. Allah said about them (i.e. the hypocrites)

”but admonish them, and speak to them an effective word to reach their innerselves” 4:63

So for these ones, a particular type of speech is prescribed because they are willful opposers and proud ones. They do not want the haqq, rather they want to misguide the people. So they are addressed in a way they deserve.

As for the seeker of guidance, this one is addressed with rifq, rahmah and gentleness. That is because he wants the truth, knowledge and faa-ida (i.e. that which benefits him/her of good). ”end of quote

Ref: sharh usool thalatha of sheikh fawzaan, page13-15
Abu Mu-aawiyah Abdullah bin AbuBakr Al (UK) via http://www.salafitalk.net

Source: http://abdurrahman.org/knowledge/ilam-r ... n-you.html
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Aqidah, Sunnah & Manhaj”