The Importance Of Rectifying One’s Character – Shaykh ‘Abdullaah al-Bukhaaree

Shehzad Sattar

The Importance Of Rectifying One’s Character – Shaykh ‘Abdullaah al-Bukhaaree

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:24 am

The following is the transcription of the Speech of the Shaykh
You can watch the video with english subtitles @ my audio blog – http://wp.me/p2sNCV-1im

And here I take my chance [to say that] some brothers, may Allaah bless you… And sadly I say this after experiencing the situation of many students and brothers, may Allaah guide them. And this is the advice of someone who is concerned and [this is] an admonition to those want to be admonished. Some brothers – may Allaah grant them success and guide them to the Sunnah – are divided into [diffirent] categories:

A category who was a disbeliever or he fell into disbelief before and was upon disbelief. Then Allaah blessed him with Islaam and He guided him to the Sunnah. This is a blessing! Right?

Another category who was originally a Muslim, but he was upon deception, misguidance and he was neglectful towards Allaah – Jalla wa ‘Alaa –. Then Allaah guided him to the Sunnah and steadfastness.

And a category who grew up – and all praise is due to Allaah – upon goodness and wellbeing between Ahlus-Sunnah, adopted their manners and learned from their knowledge. Is this clear?

As for the first and second category: there is no doubt that it is a great blessing that Allaah has blessed him with Islaam and the Sunnah. This is a great blessing which is priceless! But sadly… I say: it is sad and regrettable that the remnants and the previous characteristics (traits) of disbelief or the characteristics of disobedience, which he was upon, remain. Like: having bad thoughts, cheating, deceit, lying, nameemah (carrying tales from one person to another to cause problems between them), craftiness, and other corrupt characteristics. That this remains with him after his adhering to the Sunnah, and he doesn’t strive to rectify this! And this is what leaves many and great flaws. In fact, this is sometimes a cause of scaring away people who are coming to the Sunnah, by way of inherited characteristics. Right?

This is why the Prophet – sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam – said:

“You are a man who has Jaahiliyyah (pre-islamic ignorance) in him.”

And when some of them called upon eachother with: “O Ansaar!”, “O Muhaajireen!”, he (i.e. the Prophet) said:

“Is it with the calls of Jaahiliyyah that you call, and l am still amongst you?! Leave it! For verily, it is something rotten.”

So it’s not permissible… It is obligatory upon the one who adheres to the Sunnah to adopt the manners of Ahlus-Sunnah and to learn that which the Sunnah indicated from the noble qualities of character, good manners and good ways! By Allaah, I have been in touch with this matter and I have lived through it. And many of the disputes between the students of the one manhaj, the Sunni Salafi [manhaj]; i say: the cause of the animosity between some brothers goes back to things like this. And Allaah knows what they plot by night! And even if this is hidden for you; it is inevitable that it becomes apparent in his slips of the tongue and the characteristics of his deeds.

So it is obligatory upon the human being, o brothers, that he rectifies, that he repents, that he returns, that he reconsiders himself and that he rectifies the path he walks upon. But as for remaining with these characteristics… When the Prophet – sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam – came with Islaam, the people were in Jaahiliyyah, and this is an apparent and clear thing. Right? There was zinaa (fornication, unlawful sex), shirk (polytheïsm), sihr (magic), ribaa (usury), qimaar (gambling), etc… Corrupt and deviant characteristics! But there were some good manners which they were upon, like bravery, generosity, hospitality, being good towards the needy, etc. Right? Then Islaam came and confirmed these good manners and prohibited the opposite. And it fought against and removed all these bad manners. Right?

So it’s not permissible for you, o brother… And I am not someone who reveals the secrets of the people, but know yourself, sit with yourself and call yourself to account, o brother! Didn’t ‘Umar – may Allaah be pleased with him – say: “Call yourself to account before you are called to account.”? Didn’t he say this? “Weigh your deeds before your deeds are weighed.”? ”The wise man is the one who calls himself to account and does deeds to benefit him after death; and the foolish person is the one who subdues himself to his temptations and desires and seeks from Allah the fulfillment of his vain desires.”

Sit and call yourself to account, o brother! It is obligatory that we leave these bad characteristics. So what is the correct? What is the alternative? The Sunnah – and all praise is due to Allaah – is infallible. And this is why the scholars have paid attention to making people aware of these noble manners and warning against the opposite by way of books and writings. In the Saheeh of Imaam al-Bukhaaree there is Kitaab al-Adab, Kitaab ar-Riqaaq and other than that. In fact, Imaam al-Bukhaaree has written a separate book called al-Adab al-Mufrad. Right? Look, o brother, look at and read these characteristics and prophetic manners. Abu ash-Shaykh has written a risaalah about the character of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam –. Read, o brother! Learn! A person is not born a scholar!

But as for staying with us, constantly accompanying, until we die?! When will we rectify?! When will we ask forgiveness?! When will we repent?! So in adhering to the Sunnah there is good. And in transgressing the Sunnah there is evil.

And beware from ascribing your disgraceful statements or manners… And I don’t intend someone specifically here, pay attention! Rather [I am speaking] generally. That the person ascribes his disgraceful manner or deed to the Sunnah. Beware! Or you will become an enemy of the Messenger of Allaah – sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam –, falsely ascribe something to him and become one of the liars upon him. The meaning is not, “Whoever narrates from me a narration that he sees or is seen as a lie; he is one of the liars.” Yes, he is included in the text, and [also] the fabricator upon the Sunnah [is included], because he ascribes this deed to the Sunnah, so he is a liar upon the Messenger of Allaah – sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam –.

So beware, O may Allaah protect you, because verily I have advised you! And to Allaah we return. May Allaah raise the rank of the Messenger of Allaah, his family and his Companions and grant them peace.

Source: http://www.sahab.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=126998

Translated by Yâsîn Abu Ibrâhîm @ https://twitter.com/y4s1nne

Source: http://salaf-us-saalih.com/2013/02/16/t ... bukhaaree/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”