Restricting Salafiyyah to Specific Scholars

Shehzad Sattar

Restricting Salafiyyah to Specific Scholars

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Bestower of Mercy

This is a translation of a question and answer by ash-Shaykh al-'Allãmah Sulaymãn ar-Ruhaylī may Allah preserve him.

The questioner says,

“O Shaykh we see some of the Salafi brothers, refute the one who has fallen into some opposition, they describe other sects and these sects have mistakes without a doubt, they have many mistakes, from their mistakes is that they show loyalty and animosity in accordance to their sect. If you look toward the Salafli brothers, who ascribe themselves to Salafiyyah, you will find that they have fallen into the exact same thing. The Salafi scholars [with them] are limited in number such that you can count them on a hand; they don’t refer back to anyone else except these scholars nor include anyone else with these scholars except he who is like them. O Shaykh, do you not see that this issue is in opposition to the methodology of the Salaf as-Sãlih?”

ash-Shaykh al-'Allãmah Sulaymãn ar-Ruhaylī answers,

“Without a doubt, Salafiyyah is not restricted to names [of scholars] within Salafiyyah! For example, it is said that those scholars are known for Manhaj (methodology). Or those [scholars] statements’ are to be taken. Rather this is a type of hizbiyyah (partisanship). However it only happens within the framework of Salafiyyah. No doubt that the Salafis have scholars who are well known for their Salafiyyah. They are those who are not known to be in opposition to the methodology of the Salaf. These are the people of knowledge. As we said, we do not ascribe the scholars to a particular place, such that we say ‘the scholars of Madinah’, ‘the scholars of Makkah’, or ‘the scholars of Riyadh’. Instead, all of the scholars of the Salafis statements are considered. The claim that so and so is correct [all the time], so all of his statements are taken is not correct. This is not in agreement with the methodology of the Salaf may Allah be pleased with them all.

The people [today] are between two sides. A party that want to include within the scholars of the Salafis people who are not from them, even if these people oppose the methodology of the Salaf. Whether he was is a Salafi, displayed Salafiyyah or was never a Salafi. I will mention regarding one of the brothers who asked me about the mistake or mistakes of one of the organisations that are around. So I mentioned many things, from them they bring Abul Hasan al Ma’rabi and there is no doubt that he has the most severe partisanship from what is apparent from his speech. He [the questioner] said that you all want to restrict and limit Salafiyyah to specific scholars. I replied that this isn't an issue of restricting and limiting. We want to differentiate the Salafis from others. Whoever opposes the methodology [of the Salaf] and says that I want to make the Manhaj broad, I want to make Ahlus-Sunnah wal Jamã'a extensive and enter people into Salafiyyah, this person has left [Salafiyyah] and is not considered from among the scholars of the Salafis. Or that you come and say, I won't listen to anyone apart from so and so. His statement[s] are the truth and everybody that opposes him...[then the Shaykh says], I mentioned that some people, if some of the Salafi scholars differ [in an issue], and it is said to them, ‘come let's look into the issue’ they will stay ‘you have doubts’, ‘you have doubts in the scholars’. This in reality without a doubt is wrong and it's necessary that we warn from this! We must pay attention to these consequences. It's not permissible to form partisanship to specific scholars. Aid and support is only giving to the truth. Where ever the truth becomes apparent and manifest then we say as it is. And as I have said, if there is a difference of opinion among the scholars, then we recognise their virtue, we recognise their excuses for any mistakes they have made and we follow what becomes apparent from the truth. What you [the questioner] mention without a doubt is a reality among some of the Salafi youth; that they restrict and limit themselves to specific scholars. They believe that other than these scholars are not referred back to [in certain affairs]. In fact, I heard from some of the youth that Shaykh Sãlih al Fawzãn is not referred back to in [issues pertaining to] Manhaj (methodology). Shaykh Sãlih as-Suhaymī is not referred back to in [issues pertaining to] Manhaj. Shaykh Abdul Muhsin al-'Abbãd is not referred back to in [issues pertaining to] Manhaj. This without doubt is incorrect. This without doubt this is a type of partisanship (hizbiyyah) and a form of following one's desires. It’s befitting that it is paid [close] attention to and stayed away from.

In addition, I say it's incumbent that we display affection with our brothers. I mentioned this in my speech but I'll repeat it due to its relevance. It's not appropriate that we meet one another in two rows [opposing sides]. It's imperative that we are eager to become - in accordance to our ability - one unified row. Even if we see that some of our brothers are in error, we should sit with them, clarify their mistake that they are upon and we should show a fervent desire to unify our words in accordance to the truth! We don't leave the truth, rather we unifying the words of the people of truth with the truth.”

Translated by Ismaeel Beaumont
Al Madinah an-Nabawwiyyah
The Prophet’s City (ﷺ)
10th Rajab, 1436
Wednesday 29th April 2015

See the arabic video below:
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Ahl al-Hadith - Salafiyyah & What Opposes It”