Acceptance of the Trustworthy Scholar’s Narration is not from Blind-Following

Shehzad Sattar

Acceptance of the Trustworthy Scholar’s Narration is not from Blind-Following

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:43 pm

Acceptance of the Trustworthy Scholar’s Narration is not from Blind-Following[1]

By our Shaykh, The Muhaddith of the lands of Yemen, Abu ‘Abd al-Rahman Muqbil Ibn Hadi al-Wad’i

Translated by Abu al-Hasan Malik Adam al-Akhdar

[1] Questioner: “There are those who say that accepting the statements of the scholars regarding the people is considered blind following, so what is the validity of this statement?”

Shaykh Muqbil: “All praise is due to Allah and the prayers and peace be upon our Messenger Mu?ammad صلى الله عليه وسلم and upon his family and Companions and those who adhere. I testify that nothing has the right to be worshipped except Allah alone, and He has no partners, and I testify that Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم is His Servant and Messenger.

To proceed:

This is old speech from some of the people of innovation. al-San’ani has mentioned in his book Irshad al-Nuqqad ilaa Taysir al-Ijtihaad the saying of some of the people of innovation, ‘You forbid from blind following, and yet, you blind follow Yahya Ibn Ma’in; so if Yahya says about a man, ‘He is trustworthy,’ you will say, ‘He is trustworthy.’ And if al-Bukhari says, ‘This Hadith is authentic,’ you will say, ‘It is authentic.’ So therefore, you are blind followers.’

So al-San’ani answered this is his tremendous book Irshad al-Nuqqad ilaa Taysir al-Ijtihaad.

He said, ‘Indeed, this is not blind following; rather, it is merely the acceptance of the narration of trustworthy.’

Allah says in His Noble Book:

‘O you who believe! If a wicked person comes to you with news verify it, lest you should harm a people out of ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful for what you have done.’ [al-Hujurat 49:6]

So what is understood from this verse is that if a trustworthy person comes to us, we accept his information.

Yes, if a weak person speaks against an Imam from the Imams, then we reject his speech. Imam al-Dhahabi, may Allah have mercy upon him, after mentioning the criticism of al-‘Uqayli regarding ‘Ali ibn al-Madini, ‘Abd al-Razzaq and a group of the Scholars, al-Dhahabi refuted him saying, ‘Do you have any sense, O ‘Uqayli? You approach the great Scholars of Islam and speak against them while they are better than you,’ or with this meaning.

So if a weak person speaks about an Imam from the great Imams, his speech is not accepted. An example of that is the speech of al-Qardawi concerning al-Shaykh Ibn Baz of which ‘Abd al-Majid al-Raymi read in Jami’ al-Da’wah, which once spread Sunan, until it fell into the hands of ‘Abd al-Majid ar-Raymi, and he infected it. ‘Abd al-Majid read the statement of al-Qardawi and supported it, and some from the ignorant Yemenis who listened to him left out and were cursing al-Shaykh Ibn Baz. I was informed of this by the trustworthy brother ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn ‘Ayyash, so if one of no standing like ‘Abd al-Majid al-Raymi or Yusuf al-Qardawi comes and defames an Imam from the Imams of the Muslims, we do not accept it whatsoever.

Yes, and also the words of al-Hafidh al-Dhahabi: ‘Abu al-Fath al-Azdi, Muhammad ibn al-Husayn comes and declares some of the Imams to be weak, so Imam al-Dhahabi says, ‘This one is an Imam and Abu al-Fath al-Azdi is weak.’ So what? What is important is that al-Jarh wa al-Ta’dil is not considered an affair of blind following, unless one who is weak defames an Imam from the Imams like what was done by Zahid al-Kawthari, may Allah not reward him with good, he defamed al-Imam Malik ibn Anas, al-Shafi’i, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, al-Bukhari, Ibn Hibban, al-Daraqutni, and so on all the way until his time, the defamation of the likes of this weak one are not even considered:

The overflowing ocean is not harmed
    If a fool throws a stone in it.

Thus, the defamation of this ignoble Muhammad Zahid al-Kawthari will not harm them. As for our Imams, and those who speak against the people of innovation, then our Lord says in His Noble Book what you heard in the verse:

‘If a wicked person comes to you with news verify it.’

So what is understood from it is that if a trustworthy person comes to us, we accept his information. And Muslim narrates in his Ṣaḥīḥ, on the authority of Tamim al-Dari, may Allah be pleased with him, who said that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said: ‘The Religion is sincere advice.’[2] And in the Ṣaḥīḥayn from the hadith of Jarir ibn ‘Abd Allah al-Bajali that he said, ‘We pledged allegiance to the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم to establish the Prayer, and pay the Zakah, and to give sincere advice to every Muslim.’[3]

O brothers! These people will resist with anything they can. Look at the recording of ‘Abd al-Majid al-Zindani about the Majlis al-Shaykhat in Yemen, like in the disbelieving countries. He mentioned this, and some said, ‘By Allah this speech is not good, but is it the voice of ‘Abd al-Majid? O brothers! Listen! Listen! May Allah bless you, so that you will not be saddened from this obstinateness. Allah says about these obstinate ones:

“And even if We opened to them a gate from the heaven and they were to keep ascending thereto (all the day long). They would surely say (in the evening): ‘Our eyes have been (as if) dazzled. Nay, we are a people bewitched.” [al-Hijr 15:14]

O brothers! We can do nothing for the one who is obstinate. You might say, ‘he hit’ is a past tense verb, and he will respond, ‘No it isn’t, it is imperative. Who said it was a past tense verb?’ Or you say to him, ‘The sun rose from this direction.’ He says: ‘No it didn’t it was from the West. You can’t see.’ So inform them that we cannot do anything for them, but we have for them the Book of our Lord and the Sunnah of our Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, if only they would return and repent to Allah. Wallahu al-Musta’an.”

[2] Questioner: “O Shaykh, there are some who consider the speech of the Salafi Scholars against the Hizbis (bigoted partisans) to be jealousy between the scholars. So what is your reply to that?”

Shaykh Muqbil: “What are we jealous of? Their masjids used to be filled with their students, but when they smelled the odor of Hizbiyyah [they abandoned them], and so they remained by themselves in their masajid. So what are they (i.e. the Salafi Scholars) jealous of? Do we envy them for worldly gains? We have left it (the worldly gain), praise be to Allah, and we praise Allah, Who has given us success and made our hearts content from worldly affairs. And the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم spoke the truth when he said, as has come in the Hadith of Abu Sa’id al-Khudri in the Ṣaḥīḥayn: ‘Whoever seeks understanding, Allah will give it to him; and whoever is content, Allah will enrich him, and no one was given a provision better and more expansive than patience.’[4] So I don’t know what they have to be jealous of; rather, we hope that they will return to the Sunnah, this is what we hope.”

[3] Questioner: “O noble Shaykh! There are those that say that the speech against the Hizbis (bigoted partisans), and warning against them is considered backbiting so what do you say in this?

Shaykh Muqbil: “O brothers! I have become tired and have answered this question many times. I answered it previously on this recording that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “The Religion is sincere advice.” So the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم, according to their madhhab, backbites the people, but some of the people don’t understand. It is true that some from the common folk don’t understand, by Allah this is true. So listen, may Allah bless you, the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said, ‘Are you a Fattan, O Mu’adh?’[5] And he said about the Khawarij, ‘They will leave the Religion as the arrow passes through the hunted animal.’[6] And he said about the Khawarij, ‘They are the dogs of the inhabitants of the Hellfire.’[7] And he said about the one who sought to enter upon him, ‘What an evil member of his tribe.’[8] And he said to Abu Dharr, ‘You are a man who has in him al-Jahiliyyah.’[9] And also he said to his women, ‘Indeed, you are like the women of Yusuf.’[10]

This is the speech of those who don’t know, O brothers, may Allah bless you. Yes, the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, ‘The Religion is sincere advice.’ And Allah says:

‘So that there will be from you an Ummah that calls to good and enjoins the good and forbids the evil and they are the successful.’ [Ali ‘Imran 3:104]

And the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, ‘Whoever from you that sees an evil let him change it with his hand, and if he is unable, then with his tongue, and if he is unable, then let him hate it in his heart; and this is the weakest of faith.’[11] So praise be to Allah, we mentioned a good number [of proofs] in the introduction of al-Makhraj.

Imam al-Shafi’i backbites the people, why? Because he said, ‘Narrating on Haram ibn ‘Uthman is haram (unlawful).’ Al-Shafi’i is far from backbiting except according to the madhhab (methodology) of these ignorant ones. And also some Sufis came to Imam Ahmad and said to him, ‘You back bite the people.’ He said, ‘No, rather, if I remain quiet and so and-so remained quiet, then who would clarify for the people?’ So it is a must to clarify and stand against the Hizbis. Yes, why criticize us and Sa’tar, may Allah not bless him, said we work for America. He also said we are the brothers of the communists, and the recordings are present with us. Like this they have slandered and maligned us unjustly!

Allah says:
    ‘There is no good in most of their secret talks save (in) him who orders charity, goodness, or conciliation between mankind; and he who does this, seeking the good pleasure of Allah, We shall give him a great reward.’ [al-Nisa 4:114]

We wish we could be quiet, but it is not possible for us to be quiet. And we are aware that if we were to be quiet that the Ikhwani, the one from Jam’iyyah al-Hikmah, Jam’iyyah al-Ihsan, the secularist, and others besides them would perhaps give us the title Shaykh al-Islam, but we cannot be quiet. Even if they say what they say—and praise is for Allah—we are not concerned with them or their speech. We know that we have faults and that we are not infallible, but we also know that we have firmness upon our Religion, may Allah give you all success in that which He loves and pleases Him. All praise is for Allah, Lord of the Worlds.”

Footnotes:
[1] The following is a question and answer session with our Shaykh, The Muhaddith of the lands of Yemen, Abu ‘Abd al-Rahman Muqbil Ibn Hadi al-Wad’i, may Allah bestow His mercy upon him, and it consists of three questions which were selected from this session. This gathering took place on Saturday night the 8th day of Rabi’ al-Awwal 1421 Hijri, and they are the last questions that the Shaykh answered, may Allah have mercy upon him, on his chair in Dar al-Hadith in Dammaj, may Allah protect it from evil plots of the Rafidah.We ask Allah to benefit by the Shaykh’s advice Islam and the Muslims, and to protect the Ummah and preserve its Scholars. Just as we ask that He grant them success in that which He loves and pleases Him. See: http://www.salafitalk.net/st/viewmessag ... Topic=1280

[2] This narration is collected by Muslim in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 74), Abu Dawud in his Sunan (no. 4275) and al-Nasa’i in his Sunan (no. 4125 and 4126) on the authority of Tamim ibn al-Dari.

[3] Collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 55, 492, 1312, 2011, 2512 and 2513) and Muslim in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 75 and 76)

[4] Collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 1375 and 6110) and Muslim in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 1737) on the authority of Abu Sa’id al-Khudri.

[5] This is from the ?adith collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 663 and 5762) and Muslim in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 701 and 702) on the authority of the companion Jabir ibn ‘Abd Allah who said: “A man came with driving two Nāḍiḥas (camels) and night had fallen. He found Mu’adh praying, so he made his camel kneel and joined Mu’adh in the prayer. The latter recited Surah al-Baqarah or Surah al-Nisa, (so) the man left the prayer and went away. When he came to know that Mu’adh had criticized him, he went to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and complained against Mu’adh. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said thrice, “O Mu’adh ! Are you putting the people to trial? It would have been better if you had recited Sabbiḥ Isma Rabbikal-‘alā, Wash-Shamsi wa Ḍuhāhā or Wal-Laylā ihā Yaghshā, for the old, the infirm and the needy pray behind you.”

[6] This is from the Hadith collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥiḥ (no. 4002) on the authority of Abu Sa’id al-Khudri who said: “‘Ali sent a piece of gold to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم who distributed it among four persons: al-Aqra’ bin Habis al-Hanzali, from the tribe of Mujashi; ‘Uyainah bin Badr al-Fazari and Zayd al-Ta’i who belonged to (the tribe of) Bani Nahban; and ‘Alqama bin Ulatha Al-‘Amir who belonged to (the tribe of) Bani Kilab. So the Quraysh and the Ansar became angry and said, “He (i.e. the Prophet, ) gives the chief of Najd and does not give us.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “I give them) so as to attract their hearts (to Islam).” Then a man with sunken eyes, prominent cheeks, a raised forehead, a thick beard and a shaven head, came (in front of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم) and said, “Fear Allah, O Muhammad!” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “Who would obey Allah if I disobeyed Him? (Is it fair that) Allah has trusted all the people of the earth to me while, you do not trust me?” Somebody who, I think was Khalid bin al-Walid, requested the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم to let him chop that man’s head off, but he prevented him. When the man left, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “Among the off-spring of this man will be some who will recite the Qur’an but it will not reach beyond their throats, and they will leave from the religion as an arrow goes through the hunted animal. They will kill the Muslims but will not disturb the idolaters. If I should live up to their time’ I will kill them as the people of ‘Ad were killed (i.e. I will kill all of them).”

[7] Collected by Ibn Majah in his Sunan (no. 169) narrated by Ibn Abu Awfa who said: Allah’s Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: ‘The Khawarij are the dogs of the Hellfire.”

[8] Collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥiḥ (5693, 5715 and 5787) and Muslim in his Ṣaḥiḥ (no. 4671) From the Hadith of ‘Aishah who said that a man sought to enter upon the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم, so when he saw the man, he صلى الله عليه وسلم said, ‘What an evil member of his tribe.’ Then when the came and sat, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم smiled at him and was cheerful. So when the man departed, ‘Aishah said: “O Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم, when you saw the man, you said such and such, but then you smiled at him, and you were pleasant. The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, ‘O ‘Aishah, when have you known me to be obscene in speech? Indeed, the worst people in Allah’s Sight on the Day of Resurrection will be those whom the people abandon to be away from their evil.”

[9] Collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 29, 2358 and 5711) and Abu Dawud in his Sunan on the authority of Abu Dharr who said: “Indeed I insulted someone saying something disparaging regarding his mother, so he went to complain to the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم, and he said to me, ‘You insulted his mother? You are a person who still has remnants of Jahiliyyah in you.’”

[10] From the Hadith of ‘Aishah who said: “When the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم entered my house he said: ‘Tell Abu Bakr to lead the prayer.’ I said to him: ‘Indeed he is a soft-hearted person; if he recites the Qur’an, he cannot hold back his tears. If only you would tell someone besides Abu Bakr to take your place. By Allah, my only concern is that the people will bode ill the first person to take your place. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم again said, ‘Tell Abu Bakr to lead the prayer.’ And I repeated my statement, so the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, ‘Tell Abu Bakr to lead the prayer. Indeed you women are like the women of Yusuf.’” This Hadith is collected by al-Bukhari in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 671 and 674) and Muslim in his Ṣaḥīḥ (no. 625), and the wording here is from Muslim.

[11] This Hadith is collected by Muslim in his al-Sahih (no. 62) on the authority of Abu Sa’id al-Khudri

Source: http://alrahmaniyyah.com/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “The Ahl al-Hadith; Ittiba, Taqlid & Madhhabs”