The Madhab of Ahl al-Hadith - Introduction

SRI

The Madhab of Ahl al-Hadith - Introduction

Postby SRI » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:59 pm

Introduction
---
Bismillah, walhamdulillah, wa sallaa Allahu wa sallam wa barak 'alaa Nabiyyinaa Muhammad, wa 'alaa Aalihi wa Sahbihi ajma'in. Ammaa ba'ad:
Alsalam 'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

The aim of this page, in shaa' Allah, is to spread awareness of the Madhhab of Ahl Al-Hadith, which comprises 'Aqidah, Fiqh, and an overall methodology for understanding and practicing Islam; all of which is based on the Book, the Sunnah, and the way of the Sahabah, Tabi'in, and Atba' Al-Tabi'in radhi Allahu 'anhum ajma'in.
This Madhhab is distinct from the Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali Madhahib, primarily because of the methodology on which it is based.

Many of the followers of these four Madhahib, while indeed using the Qur'an and Hadith as evidence for their positions (and while they certainly follow these two principle sources of Islam), only do so through Taqlid of their respective Imams: Abu Hanifah, Malik, Al-Shafi'i, and Ahmad Bin Hanbal rahimahum Allah.
Taqlid is the act of taking the statement of he who is not a proof himself without knowing his proof, i.e. without knowing the evidences from the Qur'an and Sunnah on which he based his statement or position.

This is contrary to Ittiba': The act of following the Qur'an and authentic Hadith directly, or by accepting the statement of a scholar after coming to know his evidence, or in the case of a Muslim whose level of knowledge is not adequate enough to understand the evidence: By at the very least knowing that the scholar based his statement and position on the Qur'an and authentic Hadith, and not Ra'i (opinion) -- his or someone else's -- or the position of a certain Madhhab.

Ahl Al-Madhahib Wal-Ra'i (the people of the Madhahib and Ra'i), those who made Taqlid of the four Imams rahimahum Allah, would -- in establishing the Usul (principles) of their Madhahib -- look to the Fiqh statements of their Imams, and ask: "How did he arrive at this position?" working their way backwards, establishing their Usul thereby.

This is in the case that their Imam did not explicitly mention or outline his Usul, unlike with the Shafi'iyyah, who had the pleasure of having a book of Usul written by their Imam, Muhammad Bin Idris Al-Shafi'i rahimahu Allah.
Ahl Al-Hadith, however, whose Imams include Malik, Al-Shafi'i, Ahmad, Ishaq, Dawud, and others, rahimahum Allah, will follow the Usul of the aforementioned (and other) Imams rahimahum Allah only after knowing the evidences on which their Usul are based, believing that such Usul are in accordance with the Qur'an and Sunnah, using these Usul to navigate their way through the Qur'an and Sunnah in order to arrive at Fiqh positions fully based on the evidence.

Their process of deriving, choosing, and accepting their Usul, then, differs starkly from the process used by their brothers from Ahl Al-Madhahib Wal-Ra'i.

In short, one of the things that most defines the difference between Ahl Al-Hadith and Ahl Al-Madhahib Wal-Ra'i is Taqlid: The former reject it, believing that no one Imam or scholar is more worthy of being exclusively followed over another, the only person to whom this right belongs being the Prophet sallaa Allahu 'alaihi wa 'alaa Aalihi wa sallam, while many from Ahl Al-Madhahib Wal-Ra'i, for reasons of their own known to all, will choose one specific Imam or scholar to make Taqlid of.

Another reason this page was set up was to respond to the allegation that the Madhhab of Ahl Al-Hadith does not exist, a claim often made by some of our brothers from Ahl Al-Madhahib Wal-Ra'i.
And with Allah Ta'aalaa is the Ultimate Success. Wallahu a'lam.

Wa sallaa Allahu wa sallam wa barak 'alaa Nabiyyinaa Muhammad, wa 'alaa Aalihi wa Sahbihi ajma'in, walhamdulillahi Rabb Al-'Alamin.
IN DEFENCE OF THE SUNNI CREED AND MANHAJ

WWW.SALAFIRI.COM

Return to “The Ahl al-Hadith; Ittiba, Taqlid & Madhhabs”