Anas Ibn Malik al-Ansari (Radi Allahu Anhu)

Abu Ubaydah

Postby Abu Ubaydah » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 pm

A Summarised comprehensive discussion of Anas Ibn Malik al-Ansari (Radi Allahu Anhu) is as follows:

Name and lineage:

Abu Hamza Anas Ibn Malik Ibn Nadr Ibn Damdam Ibn Zaid Ibn Haram Ibn Jundub Ibn Amir Ibn Ganam Ibn Adi Ibn an-Najar al-Ansari an-Najari al-Madani (Radi Allahu Anhu).
His mother’s name is Um Salim Malika Bint Milhan Ibn Khalid Ibn Zaid Ibn Haram (Radi Allahu Anha) and his step father’s name is Abu Talha al-Ansari Zaid Ibn Sahl (Radi Allahu Anhu)

Born:

10 years before the Hijra of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) (3rd year of Prophethood)

Students:

Ishaq Ibn Abdullah Ibn Abi Talha, Abu Umama As’ad Ibn Sahl Ibn Hanif (Radi Allahu Anhu), Isma’il Ibn Abdur Rahman as-Sudi, Isma’il Ibn Muhammad Ibn Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqas, Anas Ibn Sirin, Buraid Ibn Abi Maryam, Bakr Ibn Abdullah al-Muzani, Thabit al-Banani, Thumama Ibn Abdullah Ibn Anas Ibn Malik, Hasan Basri, Humaid at-Tawil, Humaid Ibn Hilal al-Adawi, Rabi’a Ibn Abi Abdur Rahman, Abul ‘Aliya Rafi’ ar-Riyahi, Zubair Ibn ‘Adi, Zaid Ibn Aslam, Sa’id Ibn Jubayr, Sa’id Ibn Abi Sa’id al-Maqbari, Sa’id Ibn al-Musayib, Sulayman Ibn Turkhan at-Taymi, Samak Ibn Harb, ‘Amir ash-Shu’ba, Abu Qilaba Abdullah Ibn Zaid al-Jurmi, Abdur Rahman Ibn Abi Layla, Abdul Aziz Ibn Rafi’, Abdul Aziz Ibn Suhayb, Amr Ibn Abi Amr, Qatada Ibn Du’ama, Muhammad Ibn Sirin, Muhammad Ibn Ka’b al-Qurdhi, Muhammad Ibn Muslim Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri, Muhammad Ibn al-Munkadar, Muhammad Ibn Yahya Ibn Hibban, Mukhtar Ibn Falfal, Makhul Shami, Nafi’ Abu Galib al-Bahili, Na’im al-Mujmar, Abu Majlaz lahaq Ibn Humaid, Yahya Ibn Abi Kathir and Abu Salama Ibn Abdur Rahman Ibn Awf and other than them, Rahimahullah Ajma’in.
From the women Hafsa Bint Sirin and other than her were part of his students also. Rahimahallah

Virtues:

1. He served the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) for 10 years.

2. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said about him, “O Allah! increase his wealth and offspring, and bless (for him) whatever you give him.” (Sahih Bukhari no.6334, Sahih Muslim no.2480, Darusalam (numbering) no.6372)
This dua was accepted and he had children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren totalling to near a 100. (See Sahih Muslim no.2481, Darusalam (numbering) no.6376)

3. Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “Allah’s Messenger (Salllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) invoked three blessings upon me. I have seen (the results) of the two in this very world (in regard to wealth and progeny) and I hope to see (the result) of the third one in the Hereafter.” (Sahih Muslim no.2481, Darusalam (numbering) no.6377)

4. He was a keeper of the secrets of the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) (See Sahih Bukhari no.6289, Sahih Muslim no.2482, Darusalam numbering no.6378 to 6379)

5. He said, “The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) made every dua for my dunya and akhira and no one from the Ansar has more wealth than me. (Musnad Ahmad 3/108 hadith no.12053, and the hadith is authentic)
The narrations of Humaid at-Tawil from Anas Ibn Malik through Thabit al-Banani or from hearing himself are authentic.

6. Um Salim (Radi Allahu Anha) said about her son Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) that he is an intelligent boy. (Tahdhib al-Kamil 1/292 and it is an authentic hadith)

7. It is established from one hadith that Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) was present at the battle of badr even though he was of a young age and was serving the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam). (See Tahdhib al-Kamil 1/293, Sira A’lam an-Nubala 3/397-398 and other than them)

8. Abu Hurairah (Radi Allahu Anhu) said (in a specific era), “I haven’t seen anyone more resembling the salah of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) except Anas” (Musnad Ali Ibn Ja’d:no.1366, and its chain is Sahih, Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/20-21 and its chain is Sahih)

9. Once there was a drought and there was a dire necessity for water for the crops. Then Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) made dua and it immediately became cloudy and started raining. (See Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/21 and its chain is Hasan and there is another route on pg. 21-22 and its chain is Hasan)
This narration has been mentioned by Abul Abas Ja’far Ibn Muhamad al-Mustagfari (Died 432 Hijri) in Dala’il an-Nubuwa. (Dala’il an-Nubuwa of al-Mustagfari 2/646-647 hadith no.460 and its chain is Hasan)

10. Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu) said about Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) (who was his stepson), “(He is an) intelligent boy” (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/19, and its chain is Sahih)

11. His grapes used to bear fruit twice a year. (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/20 and its chain is Hasan)
His garden used to give fruit twice in a year and this garden had basil plants, which used to give a musk like smell. (Sunan at-Tirmidhi: no.3833, and he said, “Hasan Garib” and its chain is Sahih)

12. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu), “O my son” (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/20, and its chain is Sahih)

13. Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) said (in one era), “There is no one present alive who has prayed towards two Qiblas (Baytul Maqdis and Baytullah) except me” (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/20, and its chain is Sahih)

14. Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “I see my beloved (the Prophet Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) every night (in a dream)” then he started crying. (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/20 and its chain is Sahih)

15. Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated that a man asked the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) about the Hour (i.e. Day of Judgment) saying, “When will the Hour be?” The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “What have you prepared for it?” The man said, “Nothing, except that I love Allah and His Apostle (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).” The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “You will be with those whom you love.” We had never been so glad as we were on hearing that saying of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) (i.e., “You will be with those whom you love.”) Therefore, I love the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam), Abu Bakr and Umar (Radi Allahu Anhuma), and I hope that I will be with them because of my love for them though my deeds are not similar to theirs. (Sahih Bukhari no.3688, Sahih Muslim no.2639)
A whole book is needed to write the virtues and merits of Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) since he has a lot of them.

Knowledge of narrations:

He narrated 2286 ahadith. 180 of them are in the Sahihayn. (Sira A’lam an-Nubala 3/406)
There are four narrations attributed to him in al-Arba’un Fil Hath Alal Jihad of Ibn Asakir, no.16; no.26; no.31 and no.37.

In the Battle Field:

He was present in the battle of Badr even though he didn’t reach the age of puberty and was serving the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and the other companions.
Is’haq Ibn Uthman al-Kulabi (Thiqa – trustworthy) asked Musa Ibn Anas Ibn Malik, “How many battles did Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) participate in with the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)? And he replied, “Eight battles” (at-Tarikh al-Kabir of al-Bukhari 1/398 no.1266, and its chain is Sahih)
He participated in battles (for e.g. the conquering of Tustur) even after the death of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)

Death:

93 Hijri

From the saying of Qadhi Muhamad Ibn Abdullah al-Ansari he was 107 years old. (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d 7/25)
Abu Ja’far Muhamad Ibn Ali al-Baqir said, “I saw Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) and he had leprosy. On his body he had very white leprosy marks. (Tarikh Dimishq of Ibn Asakir 9/376 and its chain is Sahih)
Ujayli said, “From the Prophet’s (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) companions, only 2 of them got leprosy. Mua’qib and Anas Ibn Malik” (at-Tarikh al-Mash-hur bi-Thiqat: no.1613)
Whatever type of difficulty or illness happens to a Muslim with the correct aqida, it becomes an expiation of sins and Allah makes it a means of forgiving them. (See Sahih Bukhari, Book of Patients, Chapter: Sickness is expiation for sins hadith no.5640 – no.5647)

Note:

Some misguided people do propaganda and say that the reason why Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) got leprosy is because of the curse of Ali (Radi Allahu Anhu). This saying has no basis. (See Kitab al-Ma’arif of Ibn Qutayba Chapter of Leprosy pg. 130, volume 1, Shamila)

http://www.salafiri.com/40-hadith-shaikh-ul-islam-imam-ibn-taymiyyah-hadith-no-4-everyone-is-equal-in-the-court-of-justice-by-shaikh-zubair-ali-zai-1435h/

Return to “Sirah & Biographies”