Repentance Does Not Expunge The Sins From Our Books

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:30 am

A man asked Al Hassan: “If the person repents from a sin will he be forgiven?” He replied: “Yes.” He then asked: “Will Allah expunge it (from his book)?” He replied: “No; by Allah. Not until He stops him and questions him about it.” Then Al Hassan began to cry and he said: “If the person did not cry except due to shyness from Allah the Exalted, this should be enough to make him cry.”

تعظيم قدر الصلاة 2 / 842 وانظر جامع العلوم والحكم ص 180

Al-Awza'i said Bilaal ibn Sa’d said: Verily Allah forgives the sins, but He will not expunge the sins from the book until the person is questioned about them on the Day of Judgment; even if he repented from the sin.

المورد العذب المعين من آثار أعلام التابعين

Al-Qurtubi mentioned the hadith:

It has been narrated by Ibn Umar— رضي الله عنهما —he said, I heard the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم saying:

يدنى المؤمن يوم القيامة من ربه حتى يضع كنفه عليه، فيقرره بذنوبه، فيقول : أتعرف ذنب كذ ا؟ أتعرف ذنب كذ ا؟ فيقول : رب
    أعرف قال : فإني قد سترتها عليك في الدنيا، وأنا أغفرها لك اليوم، فيعطى صحيفة حسناته "

The believer will be brought close to his Lord on the Day of Judgment until He shields him. He will make him confess to his sins. He will say to him: “Do you remember this sin? Do you remember that sin?” He will reply: “My Lord, I remember.” He will say to him: “Verily I covered your sin in the world and I forgive you for it today.” Then he will be given his book of good deeds. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Al-Qurtubi said: “This is in reference to the sins he repented from.”

And Al-Qurtubi said: “This does not contradict what is in the revelation and the hadith about the sins being transformed into good deeds by repentance, because perhaps this will occur after the person is questioned about his sins. And Allah knows best.”

Ibn Al Jawzi said in Sayid Al Khatir: It is essential for the person of intellect to be afraid of his sins, even if he repented from them and cried over them. And I have seen many of the people become reassured that their repentance has been accepted, and it is as though they are certain of that. This affair is from absent mindedness. Then, if you were forgiven the shame remains from committing the sin. And that which emphasizes having fear after repentance is the hadith found in Sahih (Al-Bukhari, 4712).

The people will go to Adam عليه السلام and say to him: “Intercede on our behalf.” He will reply: “My sins.” Then they will go to Nuh, he will say: “My sins.” Then they will go to Ibrahim, then to Musa, then to Eesa صلوات الله وسلامه عليهم . So although they will consider their actions sins, most of them in reality were not sins. And even if they were sins they repented from them, and apologized. But after that they remained afraid of their sins.

he shame after the repentance has been accepted remains and it is not lifted. And how wonderful was the statement of Fudail ibn Iyaad. “The shame is upon you; even if you were pardoned. The shame; by Allah for choosing the sin, and the effects of the thrill of the moment remains as anguish which is not lifted from the heart of the believer even if he is forgiven. “

Thus beware of everything which will bring about shame. And this is something rarely seen in those who repent, because the person believes the sins has been immersed with sincere repentance.

And what I have mentioned necessitates continuous caution from shame.

مشاهد الخلق في المعصية من مدارج السالكين لابن القيم

Translated by Rasheed ibn Estes Barbee

Source: https://mtws.posthaven.com/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”