Dua’ for Increase in Knowledge

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:12 pm

1 – Al-Hafidh Ibn Hajr al-Assqalani (d.852 A.H.) -Rahimullaah- said: ‘Regarding the statement: ‘The saying of Allaah Azza wa Jal:

وَقُل رَّبِّ زِدۡنِي عِلۡمٗا

‘Rabbi Zidni Ilma’ <<O my Lord increase me in knowledge>>

This is a clear proof of the Excellence of knowledge. This is because Allaah Ta’ala did not order the Messenger -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- with request for increase in anything except for an increase in knowledge.’

[From: ‘Fath al-Bari’ 1/141]

2 – Umm Salma -Radhi Allaahu anha- said, the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam-used to say in the supplication in the morning prayer:

اللهم إني أسألك علماً نافعاً، ورزقاً طيباً، وعملاً متقبلاً

‘Allaahumma innee assaluka ilman nafia, wa rizzqan tayyeebun, wa amalan mutaqabilan,.’

‘O Allaah indeed I ask You for beneficial knowledge, and a good Halalprovision, and actions which are accepted.’

[Collected by Tayalisee, Tabraani & regarded Hasan by Hafidh Ibn Hajr]

3 – From Anas bin Malik - Radi Allaahu anhu – that he heard the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam-supplicating:

اللهم انفعني بما علمتني وعلمني ما ينفعني وارزقني علما تنفعني به

Allahumman fa’nee bi-maa ‘allam-ta-nee wa ‘allim-nee maa yanfa’u-nee war zuq-nee ‘ilman yanfa’u-nee

‘O Allaah benefit me with what You have taught me, and teach me that which will benefit me, and grant me knowledge which will benefit me.’

[Collected by al-Hakim, Bayhaqi, Tabraani & authenticated by Albaani in Silsilah No. 3151]

4 – Allaah Ta’ala said:

رَبَّنَآ ءَاتِنَا فِي ٱلدُّنۡيَا حَسَنَةٗ وَفِي ٱلۡأٓخِرَةِ حَسَنَةٗ وَقِنَا عَذَابَ ٱلنَّارِ

<< O our Lord give us good in this Dunyaa, and good in the Hereafter and save us from the punishment of the fire >> [2:201]

Al-Hasan said: ‘al-Hasana (good) in the Dunyaa is knowledge and worship, and in the Hereafter it is Paradise.’

Sufyan said: ‘al-Hasana (good) in the Dunyaa is knowledge and good provision, and in the Hereafter Paradise.’

[From: ‘Lattaif al-Ma’arif p.302]

5 – Abu Bakr Muhammad bin Jafar said: ‘I heard Ibn Khuzaimah while he was asked: ‘Where did you get this knowledge from?’

He answered: ‘The Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- said:

ماء زمزم لما شرب له

‘Zam Zam water is what it is drank for.’

So, when I would drink Zam Zam water I would ask Allaah for beneficial knowledge.’

[From: ‘Tadhkiratul Huffadh’ 2/721]

Al-Hakim said: ‘I drank Zam Zam water and I asked Allaah that he grant me the ability to compile works of books in a good way.’

[From: ‘Tadhkiratul Huffadh’ 3/1044]

Al-Hafidh Ibn Hajr said: ‘Once I drank Zam Zam, and I supplicated to Allaah, at that time I was at the beginning of studying Hadeeth, I asked Allaah to grant me the status of Dhahabi in memorising Hadeeth. Twenty years later I went to perform Hajj, and I found in myself the ability to surpass that rank, so I asked Allaah for a higher rank than before, and I hope that Allaah grants me that rank.’

[From: ‘Juz hadeeth (Mau Zam Zam lema shuriba lahu)’ p.191 – 192]

6 – Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymeeyah (d.728 A.H.) -Rahimullaah- said:

‘The reality of the issue is that a slave of Allaah is in dire need of asking someone for knowledge and guidance, seeking and asking, then he remembers Allaah and of his dire need of Allaah, then Allaah guides and shows him. Just as Allaah said:

يا عبادي كلكم ضال إلا من هديته فاستهدوني أهدكم

‘O My worshippers! All of you are astray except the one whom I have guided, so seek guidance from Me and I will guide you.’
[Collected by Muslim]

And just as the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- used to say:

اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّ جَبْرَائِيلَ وَمِيكَائِيلَ وَإِسْرَافِيلَ. فَاطِرَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ. عَالِمَ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ. أَنْتَ تَحْكُمُ بَيْنَ عِبَادِكَ فِيمَا كَانُوا فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ. اهْدِنِي لِمَا اخْتُلِفَ فِيهِ مِنَ الْحَقِّ بِإِذْنِكَ إِنَّكَ تَهْدِي مَنْ تَشَاءُ إِلَى صِرَاطٍ مُسْتَقِيمٍ

Allaahumma Rabba Jibreela wa Mikaa’eela wa Israafeel, faatir al-samawaati wa’l-ard, ‘aalim al-ghaybi wa’l-shahaadah, anta tahkumu bayna ‘ibaadika fima kaanu fihi yukhtalifoon, ihdini lima’khtulifa fihi min al-haqq bi idhnika, innaka tahdi man tasha’ ila siraatin mustaqeem

‘O Allaah, Lord of Jibraeel, Mikael and Israfeel, You are the Originator of the heavens and the earth, the One who has all knowledge of the unseen and what is visible. You judge between Your worshippers in what they differ, guide me to the truth by Your permission in what they differ, indeed You are the One who guides whom You want to the straight path.’
[Collected by Muslim]

[Majmoo’ Fatawa 4/39]

[Taken from: ‘an-Nubdha fee Adab Talab al-Ilm’ by Muhammad Uthman p.179-181]

Source: http://daarulhadeeth.org/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”