Al-Madeenah Al-Munawwarah or An-Nabawiyyah

Shehzad Sattar

Al-Madeenah Al-Munawwarah or An-Nabawiyyah

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Shaykh ‘Abdul-Baree said that he heard his father, the Muhaddith of Madeenah, Al-‘Allaamah Hammaad bin Muhammad Al-Ansaaree[1] may Allah have mercy upon him saying:

I investigated the reason why people refer to Al-Madeenah as Al-Madeenah Al-Munawwarah, i.e. [The illuminated city] in this period of time. I discovered that the very first ones that referred to ‘Al-Madeenah’ as ‘Al-Madeenah Al-Munawwarah’ were the Ottomans [2] .

However, the companions of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah be pleased with them all, their successors & those who came after them for many centuries would say Al-Madeenah An-Nabawiyyah, i.e. [The Prophetic city].

Reference: ‘Almajmoo’ the biography of Al-‘Allaamah Hammaad bin Muhammad Al-Ansaaree, Volume 2, page 548, saying no: 434

Footnotes

[1] He is Al-’Allaamah Hammaad bin Muhammad Al-Ansaaree As’sadee Al-Khazrajee, born in the year 1343 or 1344 AH [1924 CE] in Mali, West Africa. He died on Wednesday morning 21st Jamaaduth-Thanee 1418 AH corresponding to 22nd October 1997. For a detailed biography of the Muhaddith of Madeenah in English refer to fatwa-online.com: http://fatwaonline.com/scholarsbiograph ... saaree.htm

[2] The Ottoman Sultans & Caliphs ruled for 634 years, from the year 1290 CE till 1924 CE. Their empire spanned from; parts of North Africa, The Middle East, Anatolia (modern day Turkey), and South Eastern Europe, up to the Caucasus. Their first ruler was Osmanli Oghullarï also known as Osman I, he ruled from the year 1290 CE-1326 CE. Their last ruler was the Caliph ‘Abdül-Mejîd II, he ruled from the year 1922 CE-1924 CE. [TN]

((المدينة ((المنورة)) أو ((النبوية))

المرجع: المجموع في ترجمة الشيخ حمّاد بن محمد الأنصاري /الجزء الثاني/الصفحة 548/ القول:434

وقال شيخ عبد الباري في المجموع : سمعتُ والدي (علامة حمّاد بن محمد الأنصاري رحمه الله) يقول: بحثت عن أصل قول الناس في هذا الزمان عن المدينة ((المنورة)) ووجدت أن أول من أطلق عليها المنورة العثمانيون أما الصحابة والتابعون ومن بعدهم بقرون كثيرة فإنهم يقولون عنها المدينة النبوية.
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”