The Ruling of Intermingling with Cousins

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 am

Shaykh ‘Abdul-‘Azeez ibn Baaz

Question: I do not like to visit some of my relatives because their daughters frequently mix with the men, chatting with them and sitting with them, and I do not like these actions. They say that I am rigid. Am I sinful because I do not like to mix with the sons of my maternal aunt and the sons of my maternal uncle or the sons of my paternal uncle, or am I correct for not mixing with men in general and thus not rigid?

Answer: Rather, you are correct, may Allaah bless you; and you have done well. This is because mixing with unrelated men contains great danger. And the sons of the paternal and maternal uncle and aunt are all considered to be unrelated non-Mahram men.

As for the mixing, the meaning of which is returning the Salaam to them in a gathering, or asking: How are you doing? How are your children? Whilst staying far away from doubtful affairs and impermissible speech, then there is no harm in this. So if she gives Salaam to the son of her paternal or maternal uncle in a manner that does not contain anything doubtful nor does it contain seclusion; rather, she gives Salaam to him in a gathering or they visit and give Salaam to her for the purpose of joining the ties of the womb, there is no harm in this. That which is impermissible is seclusion with men and engaging in doubtful affairs with the men by way of speech or action. As for mere Salaam and pure speech while staying far away from Fitnah there is no harm in giving Salaam to the son of her paternal uncle or the son of her maternal aunt; or in returning the Salaam, or asking about his family or children. There is no harm in this without seclusion.

Source: http://www.binbaz.org.sa/noor/1952 Translated by Raha ibn Donald Batts

http://mtws.posthaven.com/the-ruling-of ... z-ibn-baaz
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Family”