Friends Are Categorized Into Three Classes

Shehzad Sattar

Friends Are Categorized Into Three Classes

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Shaykh Al-Allaamah Ibn Uthaymeen Rahimahullah, said:

Friends Are Categorized Into Three Classes:

The First: The Friend of Benefit

He is the one who befriends you as long as he can benefit from you by way wealth, status or other than that. If the benefit ceases, then he becomes your enemy as if he doesn’t know you and you do not know him. How numerous these types of friends are! How numerous they are who make accusations as it relates to the Sadaqah.

Allah عز و جل says in the Qur’aan:

وَمِنْهُم مَّن يَلْمِزُكَ فِي الصَّدَقَاتِ فَإِنْ أُعْطُوا مِنْهَا رَضُوا وَإِن لَّمْ يُعْطَوْا مِنْهَا إِذَا هُمْ يَسْخَطُونَ “

And from them are some who accuse you (O Muhammad) in the matter of (the distribution of) the alms. If they are given part thereof, they are pleased, but if they are not given thereof, behold! They are annoyed!” {Surah Tawbah, Ayah 58}

He could be a close friend to you and you view him as the most honourable of the people and he views you the same. One day he asks you, “Give me your book so that I may read it.” You say to him, “By Allah, I need the book tomorrow (so I can’t give it to you).” He becomes haughty towards you and displays enmity towards you. Is this a (true) friend? This is a friend of benefit!

The Second: The Friend of Delight

Meaning, he only befriends you because he finds pleasure in speaking with you and associating with you and being with you. However, he does not benefit from you nor do you benefit from him. Neither of you benefit the other. It is nothing except a waste of time. Regarding this one should also beware that he should waste your time!

The Third: The Friend of Virtue

He carries you toward that which beautifies (you) and prohibits you from that which disfigures. He opens for you the doors of good and directs you towards it. If you slip he corrects you in a manner that does not strip you of honour. This the friend of virtue!

Sharh Hilyah Taalib Al-‘Ilm Pg. 102
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Family”