What Is The Ruling On Masturbation?

Shehzad Sattar

What Is The Ruling On Masturbation?

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 am

What is the Ruling on masturbation?

Question 35: I used to masturbate during the daytime in Ramadaan when I was fourteen and fifteen years old. I do not remember how many days I did this. I was not aware then that this is Haraam (prohibited), whether in Ramadaan or at any other time. I even did not know that this is called the secret habit (masturbation). I would then perform Wudoo’ (ablution) and offer Salaah (Prayer) without Ghusl (full ritual bath) following major ritual impurity. What is the religious ruling on my Salaah and Sawm (Fasting) during such circumstances? Do I have to repeat them, taking into consideration that I do not know how many days I practiced this act? What should I do?

Answer: Firstly, practicing masturbation is Haraam (prohibited) and is even more sinful during the daytime in Ramadaan. Secondly, you must make up for the days on which you spoiled your Sawm by masturbation, because masturbation invalidates Sawm. You should try to estimate how many days this occurred. Thirdly, you must also pay Kaffarah (expiation), which is giving a needy person half a Sa‘ (1 Sa` = 3 kg. Approx.) of wheat and other staple foodstuffs for each day that you missed, if you delay making up for them until the next Ramadan arrives.

Fourthly, it is obligatory to perform Janabah Ghusl (full ritual bath to cleanse of sexual discharge) after masturbation; it is not sufficient to only perform Wudu’ (ablution) if you have experienced ejaculation. Fifthly, you must make up for the Salahs that you offered without taking Ghusl, because minor ritual purification (Wudu’ and the like) does not suffice in place of major ritual purification (Ghusl).

May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Member - `Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan
    Deputy Chairman - `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify
    Chairman - `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

Source: http://www.alifta.com/Fatawa/FatawaChap ... &back=true
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “General”