Tafseer Surah Kaafiroon

Shehzad Sattar

Tafseer Surah Kaafiroon

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 am

Tafseer Surah Kaafiroon

By Shaykh Hussayn bin ‘Abdul-‘Azeez aal ash-Shaykh [May Allaah Preserve him], Imaam and Khateeb of Masjid an-Nabawee and a Senior Judge in the High Court in Madeenah

قُلْ يَا أَيُّهَا الْكَافِرُونَ {1}

لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ {2}

وَلَا أَنْتُمْ عَابِدُونَ مَا أَعْبُدُ {3}

وَلَا أَنَا عَابِدٌ مَا عَبَدْتُمْ {4}

وَلَا أَنْتُمْ عَابِدُونَ مَا أَعْبُدُ {5}

لَكُمْ دِينُكُمْ وَلِيَ دِينِ {6}

1. Say (O Muhammad to these Mushrikun and Kafirun): "O Al-Kafirun (disbelievers in Allah, in His Oneness, in His Angels, in His Books, in His Messengers, in the Day of Resurrection, and in Al-Qadar, etc.)!

2. "I worship not that which you worship,

3. "Nor will you worship that which I worship.

4. "And I shall not worship that which you are worshipping.

5. "Nor will you worship that which I worship.

6. "To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Islamic Monotheism)."
[Kaafiroon 109:1-6]

This surah combines the three types of Tawheed. It makes indication to Tawheed of Lorship, Worship and the Names and Attributes of Allaah.

It is reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaaree that the Prophet [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] would recite this Surah as well as Surah Ikhlaas in the two Sunan of Fajr, in the two Ra’kaat after Tawaaf and the two Sunan of Maghrib.

Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah and Imaam at-Tahaawee [May Allaah have Mercy on them] said in explanation of the practice of the Prophet [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] that this Surah affirms the Tawheed in Allaah, so reciting them at the start and the end of the day means we affirm the Oneness of Allaah at the start and the end of the day, and also after symbolising Tawheed whilst doing Tawaaf, we recite this Surah.

Some of the scholars classified the three types of Tawheed in a differed way, they used terminologies like Tawheed at-Talab [i.e. being sincere to one God and seeking Him Alone, akin to Uloohiyyah] and Tawheed al-Ma’rifah [i.e to know your Lord, that His the Ruboobiyyah and you know His Asmaa and Sifaat]

The context of this Surah is that the kuffaar wanted to switch gods for a year. They thought the reconcilation between Islaam and the religion that they, the Mushriks of Quraysh, believed was to reconcile and share the dieties that we worshiped, thus this Surah was revealed.

Some of the scholars of Tafseer have stated that the repitition that occurs in the Surah is for the perpose of reinforcement and reassetion of the Tawheed we believe in and the rejection of Kufr and Shirk. This is the apparent reason for the repitition.

However, other scholars of Tafseer, like Ibn Taymiyyah, argued that this isnt the case. They stated that the first two Ayaat are regards to our negation of Kufr and the physical acts of worship they do. The last two Ayaat are in relation to the beliefs, so we negate in our ‘Aqeedah what you, the Kuffaar, believe in.

The very last Aayah reaffirms the differences between us and proves that we have our own religions and paths and that the final paths will be different, those who affirm Tawheed will enter Jannah and those who reject, will enter the fire.

‘to your religion…’: the word ‘deen’ can mean religion and it can also mean recompense and reward. So it can mean, ‘to your religion and to us ours’ and it can mean ‘to your recompense and to us ours’.

This Surah also gives us a great lesson in Da’wah as the first thing we should call to and practice is Tawheed. We call with Adab and call to them in the best way that they can understand.

This Surah also teaches us affirmation and negation in our Tawheed, so we must affirm our ‘Aqeedah and negate what opposes it. We must have alliegiance to what is correct in ‘Aqeedah and make of abandonment those who oppose it.

Source: http://ahledhikr.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09 ... iroon.html
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Quran & its Sciences”