“Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other - except for the muttaqoon”

Shehzad Sattar

“Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other - except for the muttaqoon”

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Allah informs us about one of the features of the Day of Recompense in surah al-Zukhruf when He says:
لْأَخِلَّاءُ يَوْمَئِذٍ بَعْضُهُمْ لِبَعْضٍ عَدُوٌّ إِلَّا الْمُتَّقِينَ
Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other – except for the muttaqoon
[al-Qur’an 43:67]

In his tafsir of this ayah, Imam al-Baghawi brings a statement from ‘Ali (raadiAllaahu ‘anhu) concerning this ayah where he said:
أخبرنا أحمد بن إبراهيم الشريحي ، أخبرنا أبو إسحاق أحمد بن محمد بن إبراهيم الثعلبي ، أخبرني عقيل بن محمد بن أحمد ، أن أبا الفرج البغدادي القاضي أخبرهم عن محمد بن جرير ، حدثنا ابن عبد الأعلى ، عن قتادة ، حدثنا أبو ثور عن معمر عن قتادة عن أبي إسحاق أن عليا قال في هذه الآية : خليلان مؤمنان وخليلان كافران ، فمات أحد المؤمنين فقال : يا رب إن فلانا كان يأمرني بطاعتك وطاعة رسولك ، ويأمرني بالخير وينهاني عن الشر ، ويخبرني أني ملاقيك ، يا رب فلا تضله بعدي واهده كما هديتني وأكرمه كما أكرمتني ، فإذا مات خليله المؤمن جمع بينهما ، فيقول : ليثن أحدكما على صاحبه ، فيقول : نعم الأخ ، ونعم الخليل ، ونعم الصاحب ، ـ

Two close friends who are believers and two close friends who are disbelievers. So one of the believers dies, and he says, “O Lord! Verily so-and-so used to command me with obedience to You and obedience to Your messenger, and he would command me with good and forbid me from evil, and he informed that I will be meeting with You. O Lord! Therefore do not misguide him after me and guide him as you guided me and honor him as you honored me.” So when his believing friend dies, He will bring them together and He will say, “This is due to the averting [of harm, through supplication] of one of you for his companion.” So he [the companion] will say, “What an excellent brother! What an excellent close friend! What an excellent companion!”

قال : ويموت أحد الكافرين ، فيقول : يا رب إن فلانا كان ينهاني عن طاعتك وطاعة رسولك ، ويأمرني بالشر وينهاني عن الخير ، ويخبرني أني غير ملاقيك ، فيقول بئس الأخ ، وبئس الخليل ، وبئس الصاحب . ـ

And one of the disbelievers dies, so that one says, “O Lord! Verily so-and-so used to forbid me from obedience to You and obedience to Your Messenger, and command me with evil and forbid me from good, and informed me that I would not be meeting with You.” So he will say, “What a terrible brother! What a terrible close friend! What a terrible companion!”

[Tafsir al-Baghawi 7/222]
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Quran & its Sciences”