Ibn Taymiyyah On Trial

Shehzad Sattar

Ibn Taymiyyah On Trial

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Ibn Taymiyyah On Trial:
[A Complete Undoing Of Recycled Jahmee Rhetoric][1]

Source: www.sunnahpublishing.net - Translation by Maaz Qureshi

With the name of Allaah, the Most Merciful, the Bestower of Mercy: A mentioning of what occurred concerning this blessed ’aqeedah[2] from studies which were made evident by its compiler to the opponents.

The Shaykh, ’Alamud-Deen mentioned that the Shaykh (i.e. Ibn Taymiyyah) – may his secret be sanctified – spoke in the gathering of the ruler, al-Afram, when he was asked about his creed. So the Shaykh presented his ’Aqeedatul-Waasitiyyah. He said: I wrote this approximately seven years ago, before the arrival of the Tatars to Shaam. So I read it in the gathering.

Then, ’Alamud-Deen mentioned from the Shaykh, that he said: The reason for writing it was that one of the judges of Waasit, from the people of goodness and Religion, complained to me about the condition of the people in his land, within the state of the Tatars. He complained about the overwhelming condition of ignorance and oppression and the obliteration of the Religion and knowledge. So he asked me to write for him a work of ’aqeedah. So I said to him, “Indeed, people from amongst the Imaams of the Sunnah has already written works of ’aqeedah.” So he persisted in the request and said, “I would not like, except an ’aqeedah that you have written.” So I wrote this ’aqeedah for him whilst I was sitting after ’Asr.

So the leader pointed to the author, so he read it to those who were present, word for word. So some of them objected to my statement in it, “And from eemaan in Allaah is to have eemaan in whatever Allaah has described Himself with and in whatever His Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) has described Him with; without tahreef (distortion), nor ta’teel (denial), nor takyeef (asking how), nor tamtheel (likening).” So the intended meaning of this was to negate ta‘weel, which is to direct the word away from its apparent meaning, either by obligating that, or by merely making it permissible.

So I said: Indeed, I amended the term, ‘ta‘weel’ to the term, ‘tahreef’ because tahreef is a term that has been rebuked in the Qur‘aan. So I strove to follow the Book and the Sunnah with this confinement. So I negated what Allaah rebuked from tahreef. I did not mention within it the word: ta‘weel, because the term has a number of meanings, as I have explained in its proper place from al-Qawaa’id. So the meaning of the term: ta‘weel in the Book of Allaah is not the same meaning of ta‘weel employed in conventional usage by the latecomers from amongst the people of usool (basic principles) and fiqh. And this is not the meaning of the term: ta‘weel employed in conventional usage by many of the people of tafseer and the Salaf.

And I said to them: I mentioned the negation of tamtheel, but I did not mention tashbeeh (resemblance), because tamtheel has been negated by Allaah in the text of His Book, where He said,

“There is nothing like unto Him.” [Sooratush-Shooraa 42:11]

So they took to mentioning the negation of tashbeeh and tajseem (attributing a body to Allaah), and they exaggerated greatly concerning this. So they raised objections with what some of the people have attributed to us from that.[3]

So I said: My statement, “without takyeef, nor tamtheel,” negates all falsehood. I only chose these two terms, because the negation of takyeef has been narrated from the Salaf, as was stated by Rabee’ah (d.136H), Maalik (d.179H), Ibn ’Uyaynah (d.197H) and other than them. This is the statement that the Scholars have received by acceptance, “Istiwaa‘ (ascension of Allaah above the Throne) is known, and the kayf (modality) is unknown. It is obligatory to have eemaan in it, and to ask about it is an innovation.”[4] So these Scholars of the Salaf agreed that the kayf (modality) was not known to us. Therefore, I negated that in following the Salaf of the Ummah. And this is also negated by the text. So performing ta‘weel upon the aayaat pertaining to the Attributes enters into the reality of the One being
described, but the reality of His Attributes are not known. So this is from the ta‘weel that is not known, except to Allaah, as I affirmed in the sole principle I mentioned concerning ta‘weel, its meaning and the difference between our knowledge of the meaning of speech and between our knowledge of its ta‘weel.[5]

Likewise, tamtheel has been negated in the text and in ancient consensus, in addition to the sound intellectual proof for its negation and for the negation of takyeef. Therefore, Allaah made it unknown to mankind.

So whilst speaking about that, I mentioned the speech of al-Khattaabee, where he mentioned that this was the madhhab of the Salaf. It is to pass along the aayaat pertaining to the Attributes and their ahaadeeth upon their apparent meaning, along with negating the kayfiyyah (modality) and tashbeeh from them.[6] So the speech concerning the Attributes is a branch of speech concerning the Dhaat (essence).[7] I mentioned this in following his (al-Khattaabee) example and in conforming to his precedence. So since affirmation of the Dhaat (essence) is affirmation of wujood (existence), not affirmation of takyeef, then likewise, affirmation of the Attributes is affirmation of existence, not affirmation of takyeef.

So one of the elder opponents said: So at that point it becomes permissible to say that He is a jism (body), who is not like the ajsaam (bodies of the creation).

So some of the nobles and I said to him: It can only be said that Allaah is to be described with whatever He described Himself with and with whatever His Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) has described Him with. And there does not exist in the Book and the Sunnah anything to indicate that Allaah is a jism, such that this could become obligated. And the first one to say that Allaah is a jism was Hishaam Ibnul-Hakam ar-Raafidee. And as for our statement, then it is the moderate path amongst the sects of the Ummah, just as the Ummah is the moderate path amongst the rest of the nations. So they are the moderate path in the issue of the Attributes of Allaah amongst the people of ta’teel: the Jahmiyyah and the people of tamtheel: the Mushabbihah.[8]

So it was said to me: You have written the belief of Imaam Ahmad (d.241H). And they wished to end the dispute with the excuse that this was a madhhab that was followed.

So I said: I have not related anything, except the ’aqeedah of all the Salafus-Saalih, not just Imaam Ahmad specifically.

And I said: Indeed, I granted respite to those who opposed me in anything from it for three years. So even if they were to come with a single word from the three early generations in opposition to what I had mentioned, then I would repent from that. And it was upon me to bring the statements of all of the groups from amongst the three early generations in agreement with whatever I had mentioned, from the Hanafiyyah, the Maalikiyyah, the Shaafi’iyyah, the Hanbaliyyah, the Ash’ariyyah, the Ahlul-Hadeeth and other than them.

Then, the disputant sought speech concerning al-harf (letters in the Qur‘aan)[9] and as-sawt (voice).[10]

So I said: That which has mentioned about Ahmad and his companions that they held the voices of the reciters and the letters inside the written copies to be ancient and eternal (qadeemun azlee) is a fabricated lie. This was not stated by Ahmad, nor by any of the Muslim Scholars. So I brought out notebooks, and in them was what Aboo Bakr al-Khallaal (d.311H) mentioned in his book, as-Sunnah from Imaam Ahmad. And there was included in them what was collected by his companion, Aboo Bakr al-Marwazee (d.294H), from the speech of Ahmad and the speech of the Imaams of his time. It was mentioned that whosoever stated, ‘My recitation of the Qur‘aan is created,’ then he is a Jahmee. And whosoever said, ‘My recitation is not created,’ then he is an innovator.

I said: So what about the one who says, ‘My recitation is eternal?’ And what about the one who says, ‘My recitation is ancient?!’

So the disputant said: Indeed, he attributes to Ahmad people from the Hashawiyyah, the Mushabbihah and their like who spoke with such.

So I said: The Mushabbihah and the Mujassimah outside the companions of Imaam Ahmad are greater in number than those amongst his companions. So all of these Kurdish groups are Shaafi’iyyah, and they have within them tashbeeh and tajseem the likes of which is not found amongst the other groups. And the people of Jeelaan are Shaafi’iyyah and Hanbaliyyah. So as for the pure Hanbaliyyah, then they do no possess that which other than
them possess. And the Karraamiyyatul-Mujassimah are all Hanafiyyah.

And I said to him: Who from amongst my companions is Hashawee with the meaning that you desire: al-Athram? Aboo Daawood al-Marwazee? Aboo Bakr al-Khallaal (d.311H)? Aboo Bakr Ibn ’Abdul-’Azeez? Abul-Hasan at-Tameemee? Ibn Haamid (d.403H)? Al-Qaadee Aboo Ya’laa (d.458H)? Abul-Khattaab? Ibn ’Aqeel? And I raised my voice and said: Name them! Reply to me, who are they?!

Is it with that lie and fabrication of Ibnul-Khateeb[11] upon the people with regards to their madhaahib that you nullify the Sharee’ah and obliterate the signposts of the Religion; just as he and other than him quoted from them that they would say: The ancient Qur‘aan is the voices of the reciters and the letters in the written copies, and that the voice and the letters are ancient and eternal.

Who has said this? And in which books is this found stated by them? Speak to me! And likewise, from which of them has it been quoted that they said Allaah will not be seen in the Hereafter, despite conforming to what he claims and the introduction that has been quoted from them?

And then the issue of the Qur‘aan came up, and that was the issue that it is the speech of Allaah, which is not created. It began from Him and to Him it shall return. Some of them had a contention concerning ‘from Him it began and to Him it shall return.’ And they sought an explanation for that.

So I said: As for this statement, then it has been narrated and confirmed from the Salaf, such as what has been recorded from ’Amr Ibn Deenaar (d.126H). He said, “I have met people for seventy years, and they all said: Allaah is the Creator, and everything else besides Him is created, except for the Qur‘aan. So it is the speech of Allaah, it is not created, from Him it began and to Him shall it return.”[12]

So the meaning of, ‘from Him it began,’ is that He spoke it, and he was the One who revealed it from Himself. It is not as the Jahmiyyah13 say, that it was created in the wind or other than it, and that it began from other than Him.
And as for, ‘and to Him shall it return,’ then it means that the Qur‘aan will be hidden with Allaah during the end of time, it will be absent from the written copies and the chests. So there will not remain a single word from it in the chests, and there will not remain a word from it in the written copies. And the majority of those present agreed to this.

So I said: Likewise, the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “The servants do not draw closer to Allaah with anything like that which has come from Him.”[14] Meaning: the Qur‘aan.

And Khabbaab Ibnul-Aratt, “O Hantaah! Draw close to Allaah with whatever you are able. So Allaah is not drawn closer to with anything more beloved to Him than that which came from Him.”[15]

And I said: Indeed, Allaah spoke with it in reality (haqeeqatan). And this Qur‘aan that Allaah revealed upon Muhammad (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) is the real (haqeeqah) speech of Allaah. It is not the speech of anyone other than Him, and it is not permissible to say unrestrictedly that it is a mentioning from the speech of Allaah, nor an expression of His speech. Rather, when the people recite the Qur‘aan, or write it within the books, then that is not excluded from being the speech of Allaah. So the speech is only connected in reality to the one who stated it in conveyance and meaning.

So some of them became agitated by the affirmation of it being the speech of Allaah in reality after he concurred that Allaah spoke it in reality. Then, he concurred that since it had been clarified to him that it was correct to negate the metaphorical, then it was not correct to negate this. And he mentioned the statements of the early Scholars that were narrated from them and the poetry of the poets, which were all connected to them. These were their statements in reality. So when he mentioned therein that the speech is only connected in reality to the one who originally said it, not to those who said it in conveyance afterwards, they held this speech as being good and glorified it.

And I mentioned what the Salaf of the Ummah had agreed upon from Allaah the Glorified being above the Throne, with a true meaning upon its real sense (’alaa haqeeqatihi). There was no need for tahreef, except to protect against false suspicions. And the meaning of, “And He is with you wherever you are.” [Sooratul-Hadeed 57:40]

is not that He is mixed in with His creation. Since, this is not obligated in the Arabic language. And it is in opposition to what the Salaf of the Ummah were agreed upon, and it opposes what Allaah has made the creation naturally inclined to. Rather, the moon is a sign from the signs of Allaah, it is from the smallest of His creations. So it is complacent in the sky, yet it is with the traveller wherever he may be.[16]

So when I mentioned that all of the Names of Allaah, which the creation were named with, such as the term, ‘al-wujood’ (existence), which is a statement of reality upon al-Waajib[17] and al-Mumkin,[18] two elders disputed: Is it a statement of ishtiraak (sharing similar qualities) or tawaatu‘ (the very same in all senses)?

So one of them said: It is mutawaatu‘ (the very same in all senses). And another said: It is
mushtarik (sharing similar qualities), in order to avoid tarkeeb (composition).

And this one said: Indeed, Fakhrud-Deen mentioned that this dispute is built upon the question: Is His existence the source of His essence (maahiyah), or not? So whoever says: Indeed, the existence of everything is the source of its essence, then this is a statement of ishtiraak (sharing similar qualities). And whosoever says: His existence is an extension of his essence, then this is a statement of tawaatu‘ (the very same in all senses).

So he held the first view to be stronger than the second, which was that the existence is an extension of the essence, in order to aid the position that this is a statement of tawaatu‘. So the second one said: The madhhab of al-Ash’aree and Ahlus-Sunnah is that His existence is the source of his essence. So the first one objected to that.

So I said: As for the theologians of Ahlus-Sunnah, then according to them, the existence of everything is the source of its essence. As for the other statement, then it is a statement of the Mu’tazilah: that the existence of everything is an extension of its essence. So each of these positions is correct from an angle. So the correct view is that these names are stated with tawaatu‘, as I have already affirmed in other than this place. As for this issue being built upon the existence of something being the source of its essence, or other than that, then this is from the errors that have been connected to Ibnul-Khateeb. So if we were to say that the existence of something is the source of its essence, then it is not obligatory for the name to be stated for it and for something else similar to it with an ishtiraak in wording only, as occurs in all collective nouns. So the name of the shape is a statement about this shape and that shape with tawaatu‘. So the source of this shape is not the source of that shape. Therefore, the name demonstrates the extent of similarity between them, and it is universally absolute. However, it is not found to be absolute with the condition of nonrestriction, except in the mind. And it does not become binding from that to negate the extent of similarity between the existent sources outside, since that would negate the names that are mutawaati‘ah (the very same). That is the case with the majority of existing names in the languages. These are collective nouns in the language. So it is a name that is connected to something and whatever else resembles it, whether it be a concrete noun, or a

descriptive noun, whether it is an inanimate object or a derivative, and whether it is a type of logic or knowledge or none of that. Rather, in the language, the collective noun enters into categories, groups, types and the like. All of these names are mutawaati‘ah and the sources of their appellations are outwardly distinguished.

This was the last of what was connected to the Shaykh with regards to the debate, which was conducted in the presence of the ruler, the judges, the jurists and other than them.

Stated al-Haafidh adh-Dhahabee: Then there was agreement that this was a good Salafee creed.

Source: www.sunnahpublishing.net

Footnotes:

[1] Taken from Majmoo’atur-Rasaa‘ilil-Kubraa (1/413-421).

[2] Referring to the book, al-’Aqeedatul-Waasitiyyah and the subsequent debate which took place concerning it when Ibn Taymiyyah’s adversaries took him to court for what they perceived as grave errors in ’aqeedah.

[3] Refer to Ibn Taymiyyah al-Muftaree ’alayhi (p. 50-68).

[4] Stated Rabee’ah ar-Ra’ee (d.136H), “Al-Istiwaa‘ is not unknown, and how it occurs is not comprehendible, and from Allaah is the Message, upon the Messenger is to convey and upon us is to affirm.” Related by al-Bayhaqee in al-Asmaa‘ was-Sifaat (no. 516) and al-Laalikaa‘ee in Sharh Usoolul-I’tiqaad (no. 665), Ibn Taymiyyah said in Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa (5/365), “It is established from Rabee’ah.” He also said in al-Hamawiyyah (p. 80), “Al-Khallaal narrated it with an isnaad, all of whom are thiqaat.” Stated Imaam Maalik (d.179H), “Al-Istiwaa‘ is known, and how is unknown, and to have eemaan (faith) in it is obligatory, and to question it is an innovation.” Then he said to the questioner, “I do not think, except that you are an evil man.” So he ordered him to be expelled. Related by al-Bayhaqee in al-Asmaa‘ was-Sifaat (p. 516) with the wording, “Al-Istawaa‘ is not unknown and how is unknown, to have eemaan in it is obligatory and to question it is an innovation.” Al-Bayhaqee also relates (p. 516), as does ad-Daarimee in ar-Radd ’alal-Jabmiyyah (p. 55) - with a good isnaad, as Ibn Hajr says in Fathul-Baaree (13/406) - that Imaam Maalik said, “The Most Merciful ascended as He Himself described, and it is not to be asked: How? Since how is unknown.”A complete study of the various statements of the people of knowledge concerning this is found in Muhadhdhab Ijtimaa’ul-Juyooshil-Islaamiyyah (p. 83-84).

[5] The author discusses this in detail in his book al-Ikleel fil-Mutashaabih wat-Ta‘weel, and it is published.

[6] Stated al-Khattaabee (d.388H), “The madhhab of the Salaf with regards to the Attributes of Allaah is to affirm them as they are ’alaa dhaahir (with their apparent meaning), negating any tashbeeh (resemblance) to them, nor takyeef (asking how they are).” Refer to Mukhtasirul-’Uluww (no. 137).

[7] Stated al-Khateeb al-Baghdaadee (d.463H), “So the basic principle (asl) is that speech about the Attributes is speech about the Essence (dhaat) of Allaah, so it follows it in that and takes it as a model of example. So when it is known that the affirmation of the Lord of the Worlds, the Mighty and Majestic, is affirmation of existence, then likewise, affirmation of His Attributes is only an affirmation of existence, not an affirmation of limitation (tahdeed) and modality (takyeef). So when we say, ‘Allaah has a Hand, Hearing and Seeing,’ then these are only Attributes that Allaah has affirmed for Himself. And we do not say that the meaning of Hand is Power, nor do we say that the meaning of Hearing and Seeing is Knowledge. And we do not say that these are bodily limbs and tools to perform actions. Rather, we say that it is obligatory to affirm them, but to make tawqeef (stopping at the texts of the Book and the Sunnah) of what is mentioned concerning them.” Refer to Dhammut-Ta‘weel (no. 15) of Ibn Qudaamah and al-’Uluww (p. 185) of adh-Dhahabee.

[8] BENEFIT – AN ADMISSION OF GUILT: What you have witnessed here, dear reader, is an indispensable proof that Shaykhul-Islaam did not enter into tajseem, tashbeeh, nor tamtheel. And how could this be doubted, since even the principal callers to innovation in our times have been forced to admit this. Read the statement of Dr. Sa’eed Ramadaan al-Bootee – an avowed enemy of the Salafee creed, “And we are amazed when we see the extremists declaring Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allaah have mercy upon him, of being a disbeliever. And also at their saying that he was one who held Allaah to be a body (jism). I have studied hard and long in order to to see where I could find a statement or a word from Ibn Taymiyyah that he wrote or said which would indicate that he held Allaah to be a body, as has been quoted from him by as-Subkee and others, and I have not found anything from him like this. All I found was his statements in his fataawaa, ‘Indeed, Allaah has a Hand as He said and has arisen over the Throne as He said, and He has an eye as He said.’” And he (al-Bootee) also said, “I referred to the final work written by Abul-Hasan al-Ash’aree, al-Ibaanah and I found him saying exactly what Ibn Taymiyyah said.” Refer to Nadwah Ittihaahaatul-Fikril-Islaamee (p. 264-265).

[9] From Ibn ’Abbaas who said, “When Jibreel was sitting with the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam), he heard a strange sound from above, so he raised his head and said, “This is a door from the sky that has been opened today, it has never been opened, except upon this day.” So an angel descended from it, so he said. “This is an angel that has descended to the earth, it has never descended except today.” So he greeted them and said, ‘I give you glad tidings of two lights that I have come to give you, they have not been given to anyone before you, al-Faatihah and the last aayah of al-Baqarah. You will not recite a letter from them, except that it will be given to you.” Related by Muslim (no. 806), an-Nisaa‘ee (2/138), al-Haakim (1/558-559) and Ibn Hibbaan (no. 766).

’Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood said, “Learn the Qur‘aan. Verily every letter from it that is written, ten rewards are obtained, and ten sins are expiated. I do not say that ‘Alif Laam Meem,’ is ten, rather, I say that Alif is ten and Laam is ten, and Meem is ten.” Related by Ibn Abee Shaybah (10/461). Shu’ayb Ibn Habhaab said, “Whenever a man used to recite with Abul-’Aaliyah (d.90H), and he did not recite as he recited, rather, he said, “As for me, then I shall recite it as such and such.” He said, “So I mentioned that to Ibraaheem an-Nakha’ee, so he said, ‘I see that your Companion has heard that whoever disbelieves in a single letter from it, then indeed he disbelieves in all of it.” Related by Ibn Abee Shaybah (10/513-514) and by Ibn Jareer in his Tafseer (no. 56).

[10] The Imaams of the Salaf used to affirm as-sawt (voice) for Allaah. Stated ’Abdullaah Ibn Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, ‘I asked my father – rahimahullaah – about a people who say, ‘When Allaah spoke to Moosaa (’alayhissalaam), He did not speak with a voice.’ So my father said, ‘Of course! Indeed, your Lord the Mighty and Majestic spoke with a voice. We relate these ahaadeeth as they have come.” Related by ’Abdullaah in as-Sunnah (no. 533). Imaam Aboo Bakr al-Marroodhee, the companion of Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, said, “I heard Abaa ’Abdullaah – meaning Ahmad – and it was said to him that ’Abdul-Wahhaab was speaking and he had said, “Whosoever claims that Allaah spoke to Moosaa without a voice, then he is a Jahmee, and an enemy of Allaah, and an enemy of Islaam.’ So Aboo ’Abdullaah said, ‘How beautiful is what he has said, may Allaah pardon him.” Related by al-Khallaal from al-Marroodhee, refer to Dar‘ut-Ta’aarud (2/37-39) of Ibn Taymiyyah. ’Abdullaah Ibn Ahmad said, “I said to my father, ‘Verily there are those who say that Allaah did not speak to Moosaa with a voice.’ So he said, “These are the heretical Jahmiyyah, they only use ta’teel (denial),” and he mentioned the narrations in opposition to their statement.” Refer to Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa (12/368).

[11] Here, the author is referring to al-Fakhr ar-Raazee.

[12] Saheeh: Related by ad-Daarimee in ar-Radd ’alal-Jahmiyyah (no. 344) and an-Naqd ’alal-Mareesee (p. 116), al-Bayhaqee in as-Sunan (10/205) and al-Asmaa‘ was-Sifaat (p. 245) and Ikhtisaasul-Qur‘aan (no. 50) of Diyaa‘ud-Deen al-Maqdisee.

[13] Jahmiyyah: They ascribe themselves to Jahm Ibn Safwaan as-Samarqandee. And he is the one who manifested negation of the Attributes, ta’teel (denial) and other than that from the abaateel (false understandings). Indeed, he took that from al-Ja’d Ibn Dirham, and he was the one who took that chain of understanding from a filthy Jew.

Indeed, Ja’d Ibn Dirham was killed by Khaalid al-Qasree in the year 124H, in Waasit. So Jahm succeeded him in Khuraasaan. So he manifested his statements there, and the people followed him upon that. After that, he abandoned the Prayer for forty days because he doubted in his Lord. Indeed, Jahm was killed in Khuraasaan. He was killed by Salm Ibn Ahwaz al-Maazinee, during the end of the rule of Banee Umayyah. However, his statements had flourished amongst the people. So these statements did not cease to remain strong amongst the people and multiply, not to mention during the time of al-Ma‘moon.

And from the fabrications of Jahm and his followers are that Paradise and the Fire shall pass away, that eemaan is ma’rifah (knowledge) only, that kufr is jahl (ignorance) only, that no one performs an action in truth besides Allaah alone, that the actions of the people can only be attributed to them metaphorically, that the knowledge that Allaah possesses has newly come about and other than that from the abaateel (false views) whose misguidance and heresy is not hidden. And along with his misguidances that we have mentioned, Jahm used to carry a weapon and fight the ruler. Indeed, how beautiful is the statement of the poet,

‘I am amazed at a Shaytaan who calls the people openly;
    to the Fire. And his name as been derived from: Jahannam.’

Refer to Sharhul-’Aqeedatit-Tahaawiyyah (p. 522-524), al-Milal wan-Nihal (1/86-88) of ash-Shahrastaanee and al-Farq baynal-Firaq (p. 128) of al-Baghdaadee.

[14] Da’eef: Related by at-Tirmidhee (no. 2911), Ahmad (5/268), Ibn Nasr in Qiyaamul-Layl (p. 41-42, 122), al-Bukhaaree in Khalq Af’aalul-’Ibaad (no. 509), al-Bayhaqee in al-Asmaa‘ was-Sifaat (p. 305) and al-Khateeb in Taareekh Baghdaad (7/88, 12/220). It was declared da’eef by al-Albaanee in Silsilatud-Da’eefah (no. 1958).

[15] Saheeh: Related by al-Aajurree in ash-Sharee’ah (p. 77) and al-Bayhaqee in al-Asmaa‘ was-Sifaat (p. 310-311), by way of Mansoor Ibnul-Mu’tamir, from Hilaal Ibn Sayyaaf, from Farwah Ibn Nawfal. It was authenticated by al-Bayhaqee.

[16] Stated Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (d.728H), “They (Ahlus-Sunnah) do not make resemblance between His Attributes and the attributes of the creation, because for Allaah the Glorified, there is no comparison, nor equal, nor partner, and there is no analogy for Him with His creation.” Refer to Sharhul-’Aqeedatil Waasitiyyah (1/127) of Ibnul-’Uthaymeen. And Imaam Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-’Uthaymeen (d.1421H) commented, “Ahlus-Sunnah are free from resembling Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic, to His creation, both in respect of His Dhaat and His Attributes... Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah affirm the Attributes for Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic, without resemblance.” And he added, “Our belief is that there is nothing which resembles Allaah.” Refer to Sharhul-’Aqeedatil-Waasitiyyah (1/102, 108).

[17] Meaning: Allaah, the One whose existence is obligatory.

[18] Meaning: the creation, whose existence is merely possible, as they were created by Allaah.

Source: www.sunnahpublishing.net
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Aqidah, Sunnah & Manhaj”