Dua’ is Worship

Shehzad Sattar

Dua’ is Worship

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Dua’ is Worship
Compiled & translated By Abbas Abu Yahya

From an-Nu’maan bin Basheer –Radhi Allaahu anhu– from the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- who said:

‘Dua’ is worship.’ Then he recited:

وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ٱدۡعُونِيٓ أَسۡتَجِبۡ لَكُمۡۚ إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ يَسۡتَكۡبِرُونَ عَنۡ عِبَادَتِي

سَيَدۡخُلُونَ جَهَنَّمَ دَاخِرِينَ

<< And your Lord said: ‘Invoke Me, (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation). Verily! Those who scorn My worship [i.e. do not invoke Me, and do not believe in My Oneness] they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!’>> [Ghafir: 60]

[Collected by Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and Albaani authenticated it in ‘Saheeh al-Jamai’ no. 3407]

Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymeeyah (d.728 A.H.) -Rahimullaah- said:

‘Dua’ is worship’; worship is built upon the Sunnah and following the Messenger, and not upon desires and innovating. Indeed Allaah is worshipped with what He had legislated, He is not worshipped with desires and innovations. Allaah Ta’ala said:

أَمۡ لَهُمۡ شُرَكَٰٓؤُاْ شَرَعُواْ لَهُم مِّنَ ٱلدِّينِ مَا لَمۡ يَأۡذَنۢ بِهِ ٱللَّهُۚ

<< Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods), who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed. >> [Shura: 21]

Allaah Ta’ala said:

إِنَّهُۥ لَا يُحِبُّ ٱلۡمُعۡتَدِينَ

<< He likes not the aggressors.>> after His statement:

ٱدۡعُواْ رَبَّكُمۡ تَضَرُّعٗا وَخُفۡيَةًۚ

<<Invoke your Lord with humility and in secret.>> [al-Aaraaf: 55]

This is an evidence that whoever does not make Dua’ to Allaah with humility and in secret, then he is from the aggressors, whom Allaah does not love.’

[Taken from: ‘al-Fatawa al-Misreeyah’ 6/210]

Al-Mubarakforee -Rahimullaah- said:

‘This is worship in reality, which deserves to be called worship; due to the indication that making Dua’ is turning to Allaah, and turning away from everything except Him, whereby a person does not have hope or fear except of Allaah Ta’ala.’

[From Tuhfatul Ahwadeeh 8/246]

Source: https://followingthesunnah.wordpress.co ... s-worship/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”