If I Am Travelling By Plane And The Time For Prayer Comes, Is It Permissible For Us To Pray In The Plane Or Not?

Shehzad Sattar

If I Am Travelling By Plane And The Time For Prayer Comes, Is It Permissible For Us To Pray In The Plane Or Not?

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:17 pm

The Standing Committee was asked:

They replied:

If the time for prayer comes and the plane is continuing its journey, and there is the fear that the time for prayer may end before it lands in an airport, then the scholars are unanimously agreed that it is obligatory to offer the prayer as best as one is able to, bowing, prostrating and facing the qiblah if one can, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can”
[al-Taghaabun 64:16].

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When I command you to do a thing, do as much of it as you can.” Narrated by Muslim (1337).

But if he knows that the plane will land before the time for the prayer ends and that he will have enough time to offer the prayer then, or if the prayer is one that may be joined with another, such as Zuhr with ‘Asr or Maghrib with ‘Isha’, or he knows that the plane will land before the end of the time for the second prayer and that he will have enough time to offer both prayers, then the majority of scholars are of the view that it is permissible to offer the prayer in the plane, because of the command to offer the prayers on time to the best of one’s ability, as stated above,

and this is the correct view.

End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (8/120).
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”