The Forgotten Sunnah -(Making Du`aa in the Prayers)

Shehzad Sattar

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:46 am

Sharh Riyaadh al-Saaliheen

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen ﺭﺣﻤﻪﺍﻟﻠﻪ said:

❝In the night prayers (Tahajjud), if a person passes by a verse about Mercy, then he should pause and ask (Allaah for it). For example: If he passes by a verse which mentions about Paradise (and its blessings), he should pause and say: “O Allaah make me one of its dwellers, O Allaah I beseech You the Jannah.” And when he passes by a verse containing threat [1], he should pause and say: “I seek refuge in Allaah from this; I seek refuge in Allaah from the Fire.” And if he passes by the verses which contains Allaah’s Praises, meaning, the verses which mentions His سبحانه وتعالى Magnificence, and Glorification, he should pause and Glorify Allaah (by saying Subhaan-Allaah, wal-Hamdulillaah etc.) and all this in the night prayers.

As for the Obligatory prayers, there is no problem if he does this, but it is not from the Sunnah (to do it in the obligatory prayers). So if he does this, he should not be stopped. And if he does not do it, he should not be commanded to do it except in the night prayers, because it is preferred that he does that in the night prayers – i.e. seek Allaah’s refuge at the verses of threat, and ask Allaah at the verses of Mercy, and Glorify Allaah at the verses of which contains Praises for Him]❞

Sharh Riyaadh al-Saaliheen (2/95)

[1] Every Aayah which mentions the Hell and its horror, and which contains admonition and the threat that Allaah’s curse will be upon them or that Allaah will seal their hearts etc.

[2] Some Ahaadeeth:

Narrated `Awf ibn Maalik رضي الله عنه: I stood up to pray along with the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم; he got up and recited Surah al-Baqarah. When he صلى الله عليه وسلم came to a verse which spoke of mercy, he stopped and made supplication, and when he came to verse which spoke of punishment, he stopped and sought refuge in Allaah, then he صلى الله عليه وسلم bowed as long as he stood (the bowing was as long the standing), and said while bowing: “Glory be to the Possessor of Greatness, the Kingdoms, Grandeur and Majesty.” Then he صلى الله عليه وسلم prostrated as long as he stood up and recited the same (as he صلى الله عليه وسلم did in bowing) and then he stood up and recited Surah Aal-`Imraan and then recited many Surahs one after another. [Sunan Abu Dawood (873), Sunan al-Nasaa’ee (1132) and graded as “Saheeh” by Shaikh al-Albaanee]

It was narrated from Hudaifah رضي الله عنه that he prayed beside the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلمone night. He صلى الله عليه وسلم recited, and when he صلى الله عليه وسلم came to a verse that mentioned punishment, he صلى الله عليه وسلمwould pause and seek refuge with Allaah; if heصلى الله عليه وسلم came to a verse that mentioned mercy, he صلى الله عليه وسلم would pause and pray for mercy. In his bowing he would say: 'Subhaana Rabbil-Adheem (Glory be to my Lord Almighty)' and in his prostration he would say: 'Subhaana Rabbil-A`laa (Glory be to my Lord the Most High).’” [Sunan al-Nasaa’ee (1009)]

It was narrated from Hudhaifah رضي الله عنه that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم prayed, and when he صلى الله عليه وسلم recited a verse which mentioned mercy, he صلى الله عليه وسلم would ask for mercy, when he recited a Verse that mentioned punishment he would pray for deliverance from it; and when he recited a Verse that mentioned the Tanzeeh+ of Allaah, he would glorify Him [Sunan Ibn Maajah (1351)]

+ Tanzeeh: To declare Allaah to be free of imperfection and everything falsely attributedto Him, such as having a son, partner of the trinity etc.

Narrated Hudhaifah رضي الله عنه: I prayed with the Apostle of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم one night and he started reciting al-Baqarah. I thought that he would bow at the end of one hundred verses, but he continued; I then thought that he would perhaps recite the whole (Surah) in a rak`ah, but he continued so I thought he would perhaps bow on completing (this Surah). He then started al-Nisaa’, and recited it; then hestarted Aal-`Imraan and recited leisurely. When he recited the verse which referred to the Glory of Allaah, he glorified (by saying Subhaan-Allaah). When he passed by the verses on supplication, he صلى الله عليه وسلم would then supplicate. When he صلى الله عليه وسلم recited the verses dealing with seeking refuge, he صلى الله عليه وسلم sought (His تعالى protection) and would then bow and say: “Subhaana Rabbiy al-`Adheem”. His bowing lasted about the same length of time as his standing (and then on returning to the standing posture after rukoo`) he صلى الله عليه وسلم would say: “Sami` Allaahu liman Hamidah”, and he صلى الله عليه وسلم would then stand about the same length of time as he had spent in bowing. He would then prostrate himself and say: “Subhaana Rabbiy al-A`laa”, and his prostration lasted nearly the same length of time as his standing. [Saheeh Muslim (1687)]
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”