Our Predecessors And Ramadhān / Fasting

Abu Ubaydah

Our Predecessors And Ramadhān / Fasting

Postby Abu Ubaydah » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:04 am

The Prophet (Sallalāhū ʾAlayhī Wa Salam) said,

"You should definitely fast because there is no act similar to it."

(Ibn Hibbān: 929, Hākim 1/421 and Albānī declared it Sahīh)

It was narrated about Abu Bakr (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) that he used to perform optional fasts in the summer and not perform optional fasts in the winter.

(Latāʾif ul-Maʾarif and Kitāb az-Zuhd of Ibn ul-Mubārak)

Um ul-Muʾminīn ʿAʾisha (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnha) also used to perform optional fasts during severely hot weather.

(Latāʾif ul-Maʾarif and Kitāb az-Zuhd of Ibn ul-Mubārak)

ʿAbdullāh Bin ʿUmar (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) used to perform optional fasts. He used to faint and become unconscious due to the severity of the heat however he would still not break the fast.

(Latāʾif ul-Maʾarif no.448)

Imām Ahmād Bin Hanbal used to fast to the extent that he would faint because of the severity of the heat and someone would have to sprinkle water over his face.

(Latāʾif ul-Ma`arif no.448)

Abū Ḍardā (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) said,

"Fast on a day that is severely hot in order to be saved from the severe heat on the day of judgement. Perform 2 rakʿat of Salāh in the darkness of the night in order to obtain light in the darkness of the grave."

(Latāʾif ul-Ma`arif no.448)

ʿAmir Bin Qays (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) came to an area of Shām from Basrāh. (During those days Muʿawiyah (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) was the Khalīfah and Shām was his area of Khilāfah). Muʿawiyah (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) said to him that if you have any needs then to please let me know. And he said this repeatedly. Each time ʿAmir Bin Qays (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) replied in the negative that he did not require anything. When Muʿawiyah (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū)insisted Amir Bin Qays (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) said,

"My need is that you bring me the heat of Basrāh, so that perhaps fasting becomes hard for me because fasting in your city is very light for me."

(Latāʾif ul-Ma`arif no.447)

Muʿadh Bin Jabal (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) was close to his death bed so he had a desire for something and said,

"I feel sad because the thirst from difficult fasting will now end."

(Kitāb az-Zuhd of Ibn ul-Mubārak)

When Ramadhān came Imām Shihābudīn Zuhrī said,

"This is the month of reciting the Qurʾān and providing food to eat."

(Latāʾif ul-Ma`arif no.245)

Ibn ʿAbdul Hakam said about Imām Mālik Bin ʿAnas that when the month of Ramadhān came he would go away from the Majlis of Hadīth and the Majlis of the people of knowledge and would instead focus on opening the Qurʾān and look at it and recite it.

ʿAbdurazāq said,

"When the month of Ramadhān would come Imām Sufyān ath-Thawrī would leave off all talk and would focus on the Qurʾān."

Ibn Rajab mentions that some of the Salaf would complete the Qurʾān in 3 nights during the month of Ramadhān...others would complete it in 7 days such as Qatādah and other than him...some other Salaf would complete the revision of the Qurʾān in 10 days and nights such as Abū Dujānah al-ʿAtarī and other than him.

ʿAswad Bin Qays would complete the recitation of the Qurʾān once every 2 nights in the month of Ramadhān.

Imām Nakhaī would complete the recitation of the Qurʾān once every 2 nights in the last 10 days of Ramadhān and he would complete the Qurʾān once every 3 days in the first 20 days of Ramadhān.

Imām Shaʾbi said,

"The night of Laylatul Qadr is like the day."

Imām Shafʿī said,

"I like to make effort in worship during the day of Laylatul Qadr with the same amount of effort done during the night of Laylatul Qadr."

Ibn Jarīr said,
"I like to perform Ghusl on each night of the last days of Ramadhān."

(Latāʾif ul-Ma`arif no.269)

Imām Nakhaī used to perform Ghusl on each night of the last 10 days of Ramadhān. There were some from the Salaf who used to take a Ghusl and apply perfume on those nights of Ramadhān which they were certain that it was Laylatul Qadr.

Thābit al-Banānī said,

"Tamīm ad-Dārī (Raḍī Allāhū ʾAnhū) had a garment which he bought for 1000 dirhams. He would wear it on the night which he was certain that it was Laylatul Qadr."

Abū Qilābah would free a beautiful female slave in the last days of Ramadhān hoping that Allah would free him from the punishment of the hell fire based on this action.

(Latāʾif ul-Ma`arif no.300)

Translated by Abu Ubaydah

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”