The virtue of repeating the Adhaan behind the Muadhdhin

AbuDahlia

The virtue of repeating the Adhaan behind the Muadhdhin

Postby AbuDahlia » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:44 pm

بسم الله والحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله ، وبعد

Narrated Abu Sa`eed al-Khudree رضي الله عنه: Allaah’s Messenger ﷺ said: ❝When you hear the Adhaan, repeat what the Muadhdhin (the call-maker) says.❞
[Saheehain]

`Abdullaah bin `Amr bin al-`Aas رضي الله عنهما reported: I heard the Messenger of Allaah ﷺ saying: ❝When you hear the Adhaan, repeat what the Muadhdhin says. Then send Salah upon me (i.e. invoke blessings on me) because everyone who does so will receive in return ten blessings from Allaah. Then beseech Allaah to grant me al-Waseelah, which is a high rank in Jannah, fitting for only one of Allaah’s slaves; and I hope that I will be that man. Whoever asks that I be given al-Waseelah, he will be assured of my intercession.❞
[Saheeh Muslim (384), Sunan Abu Dawood (523), Sunan al-Tirmidhee (3614), Sunan al-Nasaa’ee (678)]

`Umar Ibn al-Khattaab رضي الله عنه said: Allaah’s Messenger ﷺ said: ❝When the Muadhdhin says: اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَر (Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest), then one of you should make this response: اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَر (Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest); (and when the Muadhdhin) says: أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ (I testify that there is no one worthy of worship except Allaah), one should respond: أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ (I testify that there is no one worthy of worship except Allaah), and when he says: أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ‏ (I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah), one should make a response: أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ‏ (I testify that Muhammad is Allaah's Messenger). When he (the Muadhdhin) says: حَىَّ عَلَى الصَّلاَةِ ‏ (Come to prayer), one should make a response: لاَ حَوْلَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللَّه‏ (There is no might and no power except with Allaah). When he (the Muadhdhin) says: حَىَّ عَلَى الْفَلاَح (Come to salvation), one should respond: لاَ حَوْلَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللَّه ‏ (There is no might and no power except with Allaah), and when he (the Muadhdhin) says: Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest, then make a response: اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَر (Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest). When he (the Muadhdhin) says: لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ (There is no one worthy of worship except Allaah), then make a response: لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ (There is no one worthy of worship except Allaah). And he who makes a response from the heart: I testify that there is no one worthy of worship except Allaah, he will enter Paradise.❞
[Saheeh Muslim (385), Sunan Abu Dawood (527)]

Shaikh Ibn al-`Uthaymeen رحمه الله:

❝The virtue (of repeating the Adhaan), as mentioned in the Ahaadeeth, the Prophet ﷺ instructed us that when we hear the Muadhdhin calling the Adhaan, to say as he says. If he says: “Allaah is the Greatest”, we should also repeat: “Allaah is the Greatest”. When he says: “I testify that there is no one worthy of worship except Allaah”, we should also say: “I testify that there is no one worthy of worship except Allaah”. When he says: “I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah”, we should also say: “I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah”. Except when he says: “Come to prayer, come to salvation”, we do not repeat this because we are the ones being invited, and the Muadhdhin is the one who is inviting. So it is not correct for us to repeat: “Come to prayer” after the Muadhdhin, rather we are to say the words of seeking help: “There is no might and no power except with Allaah”. These words mean that we have accepted the call and now we seek Allaah’s عز وجل help (for fulfilling our responsibilities). This is why I say that these words are the words of seeking help through which a person seeks to correct his affairs and rectify his condition. This is why, in the story of the man with two gardens, the Believer said to him:

وَلَوْلَا إِذْ دَخَلْتَ جَنَّتَكَ قُلْتَ مَا شَاءَ اللَّـهُ لَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّـهِ

{It was better for you to say, when you entered your garden: “That which Allaah wills (will come to pass)! There is no power but with Allaah”}
[Surah al-Kahf (18): 39]

Meaning: It would have been better for you and you would have safeguarded your garden from getting ruined.

This indeed is a great phrase. The Prophet ﷺ said to `Abdullaah Ibn Qais – Abu Moosaa al-Ash`aree رضي الله عنه: ❝Shall I not guide you to a treasure from the treasures of Jannah?❞ He (Abu Moosaa) said: “Yes, O Messenger of Allaah!” Thereupon he ﷺ said: ❝(Recite): “Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illaa billaah” (There is no might and no power except with Allaah).❞
[Saheehain]

So, when the Muadhdhin says: “Come to prayer, come to success”, we should say: “There is no might and no power except with Allaah”. When he says during the Fajr Adhaan: “The prayer is better than sleep”, we should also say: “The prayer is better than sleep”. When he says: “Allaah is the Greatest”, we should also say: “Allaah is the Greatest”. And when he says: “There is no one worthy of worship except Allaah”, we should repeat: “There is no one worthy of worship except Allaah”.

After that, we should invoke Allaah’s blessing upon the Prophet ﷺ, saying: “Allaahumma Sallee `alaa Muhammad…” (O Allaah! Bestow Your favors on Muhammad…), and whoever invokes Allaah’s blessings upon the Prophet ﷺ once, he will receive Allaah’s blessings ten times.

Then we should beseech Allaah to grant al-Waseelah to the Prophet ﷺ:

اللهم رب هذه الدعوة التامة والصلاة القائمة آت محمدا الوسيلة والفضيلة وابعثه مقاما محمودا الذي وعدته (إنك لا تخلف الميعاد)

Allaahumma rabba haadhihi-d-da`wati-t-taammah, wal-salaati-l-qaaimah, aati Muhammadani-l-waseelata wal-fadheelah, wab `ath-hu maqaama-mahmoodan al-ladhee wa`adtahu, [innaka laa tukhliful-mee`aad]

O Allaah, Rabb of this perfect call and of the established prayer, grant Muhammad the Waseelah and superiority, and raise him up to a praiseworthy position which You have promised him. [Verily! You do not neglect promises]
[Saheeh al-Bukhaaree (614, 4719). The words within the brackets are from Sunan al-Baihaqee and this addition opposes the other authentic narrations. See al- Dha`eefah (11/293/5181) and also al-Irwa (1/260-261)]

So, if we seek Allaah’s blessing on the Prophet ﷺ and beseeched Allaah to grant him al-Waseelah, then intercession will be assured for us, meaning: the Prophet ﷺ will intercede for us (on the Day of Judgment). Al-Waseelah is a high rank in the Jannah, the highest that can be (closer to Allaah), and this rank will not be given except to only one person. The Prophet ﷺ said: ❝I hope that I will be that man.❞ And this hope, by Allaah’s Will, will be fulfilled (in the favor of our Prophet ﷺ), because we know that the best of creation with Allaah is the Prophet ﷺ, and because the Ummah of Muhammad beseeches Allaah to grant him that rank after every Adhaan. And the supplication between the Adhaan and `Iqaamah is not rejected. Every person in this (Muslim) Ummah says: “O Allaah! Grant al-Waseelah to Muhammad!” And the Ummah of Muhammad, by Allaah’s permission, is worthy that if they supplicate to Allaah to grant al-Waseelah to Muhammad, then Allaah will accept it from this Ummah, this is why the Prophet ﷺ said: ❝I hope that I will be that man.❞

Therefore, when we hear the Muadhdhin, it is necessary for us to repeat what he says, if we are reciting (the Qur’aan), then we should stop reciting and repeat after the Muadhdhin. When we are done with this, we can go back to reciting (the Qur’aan).❞
[Sharh Riyaadh al-Saaliheen (5/35-38)]

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”