The Ruling on Combining the ’Ishaa‘ Prayer with the Maghrib Prayer at the Time of Maghrib

Shehzad Sattar

The Ruling on Combining the ’Ishaa‘ Prayer with the Maghrib Prayer at the Time of Maghrib

Postby Shehzad Sattar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

al-’Allaamah ’Ubayd Ibn ’Abdullaah al-Jaabiree

[Q]: Is it permissible for them (in Britain) to combine the ’Ishaa‘ Prayer with the Maghrib Prayer at the time of Maghrib? This is because the time of Fajr there is 3:00AM and the time for breaking fast is 9:30PM at night, and ’Ishaa‘ is at 11:00PM at night?

[A]: There is no problem with that, if Allaah wills, and I have already answered the like of this matter in many sittings, by way of this website (i.e. Miraathul-Anbiyaa‘) and other than it. It has been authentically reported upon the Prophet (sallaallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) that while in al-Madeenah he combined between the Dhuhr Prayer and ’Asr Prayer and between the Maghrib Prayer and ’Ishaa‘ Prayer at the time of the first of the two Prayers. He prayed Dhuhr and ’Asr as eight raka’aat (i.e. he did not shorten the Prayers but rather just combined as he was residing locally in al-Madeenah) and he prayed Maghrib and ’Ishaa‘ as seven raka’aat (i.e. three for Maghrib and four for ’Ishaa‘).

When Ibn ’Abbaas (radiyallaahu ’anhu) was asked about why he (i.e. the Messenger of Allaah) did this, he said, “This was as to not place a hardship upon his Ummah.” [1] And according to what you described in your question, then this is a hardship, and to remove that hardship is by combining the two Prayers at the time of the first of the two. You can pray Maghrib then pray ’Ishaa‘ (right after). Also there is no problem that you pray what is easy for you from the Taraaweeh Prayer. This is because the time for the ’Ishaa‘ Prayer became earlier, as its time became along with the time for Maghrib Prayer. Meaning, the time for Maghrib Prayeralso became the time for ’Ishaa‘ Prayer (i.e. because of the intention of combining the two). Or you can pray the Taraaweeh Prayer in your homes. You must not quarrel over this.

Endnotes:
[1]: Related by Muslim (no. 705).

Translation by Abu Suhayl Anwar Wright

Source & Audio: http://sunnahpublishing.net/the-ruling- ... f-maghrib/
The Prophet ﷺ said:

“Make things easy and do not make things difficult. Give glad tidings and do not repel people..”

[متفق عليه]

Return to “Fiqh, Ibadah & its Sciences”